lack of power

ofhs85

Cadet
Almost time to get my boat out of storage witch means I have to fix last years problems. The Last few times i took my 03 rinker captiva 212 with 5.0 MPI out it had no power for the first 10-15 Min. starts right up. It surges on acceleration and top speed is down about 10mph. after 10-15 min the boat runs great for the rest of the day. i have change the fuel filter and ran though 2 tanks of gas. previous owner claims to have done tune up fall of 2009. my only guess would be possible coolant temp sensor. gauge on dash reads correct but it looks like there might be a 2nd sensors for the ecm. any other ideas?

cr2k

Captain
Re: lack of power

That sounds like a possibility to me. Also check tune up. The only people that will lie to you more than a fisherman about the one that got away are people selling their boats.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my only guess would be possible coolant temp sensor.

Yes, that would be a guess, but probably the wrong one. Short of troubleshooting per the OEM manual, with a diagnostic computer, and a few other tools for testing, you stand a very good chance of replacing a lot of good parts before you run into the real problem, IF you do actually run into it.

Do you have fuel pump pressure gauges, compression gauges, DVM, and a diagnostic computer, and know how to use them?

ofhs85

Cadet

going to take the boat out of storage next week and start with changing the plugs and wires just in case he was lying. I did find an old cap and rotor in the boat so i assume those have been changed recently. i do have fuel pressure and compression gages, along with dvm. no diagnostic computer. just didn't think to use them since it seem to run fine after warm up. anyone know what kind of resistance i should be getting at the temp sensors and fuel pump pressure specs?