just bought a 1982 Galaxy Open-Bow with a mercruiser 470

snotrod

Recruit
how's it going everybody i'm new here and just looking for some input

i just recently bought a galaxy openbow for 300 bucks with a mercruiser 470, it's not installed and i have no idea what kind of condition it is in

the bout had a little bit of snow in it when i got it and got all that drained out. it needs to be carpeted and i'm going to buy new seats for it.

i'm mechanically minded in automotive, i can pretty much do anything (i'm in tech school)

but i know absolutely nothing about boats, but i'm not afraid to try.

so with that said, should i waste my time with the 470? is there any other motor that will match up and basically plug'n play? i would like to get this out on the water with minimal work (but i will do whatever is necassary)

i basically need as much info as anyone can throw at me. i love learning and that's half the reason i bought the boat

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: just bought a 1982 Galaxy Open-Bow with a mercruiser 470

$300 you should be OK. Since the engine is out you have a great opportunity to thoroughly check out the hull. IMHO if the hull is not sound you might better junk it and part out the engine and outdrive and get your money back out. You need to have the transom and stringers and floor checked for rot. If the wood is rotten you are in for a huge amount of expense and time to get it right. Go over to the restoration forum here and ask how to check it out. Waste your time on the 470? If it is in good shape you might be OK just like any 20+ year old motor. First off, if you can get it to turn over , do a compression test. It won't be very accurate cold, but will give you an idea if your head gasket and valves are OK. If it spins and compression is OK you might have a decent engine. There is no drop in replacement, so your best option is to see if you can get the old 470 going. If you know your way around engines the 470 should be no problem. Lots of guys here to help (in the IO repair forum). Good luck.

snotrod

Recruit

well i got the motor yesterday from the guy i bought it from, and it's not in running condition. how much is a 470 rebuild? pretty comparable to an automotive motor?

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

The Mercruiser 470 is the B@stard child in the marine engine industry. There is nothing on it that is found in an automobile except for the head. (V-8) Some people swear by that engine but most run from it. Finding parts is getting harder and harder. Good news is your only into it 300 bucks and aluminum is fetching a good price right now. The very first thing you should do before buying any boat is RESEARCH. I know that never happens. People look at the pretty lines of a boat and its so cheap and before you know it you have a pretty boat outside your house with an engine you cant find parts for, a soft spot in the floor that leads to rotten stringers and rotten transom. Do a search here on mercruiser 470 or Google it and see for yourself. I would part it out and let the people who swear by them buy the parts...

snotrod

Recruit

looks like i'm just going to try and get rid of it for what i bought it for. i've done a ton of research and i'm not liking anything i've found. i want to be able to boat this year so i'm going to cough up some dough for a boat with a more common engine. thanks for the help! you guys are awesome

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

looks like i'm just going to try and get rid of it for what i bought it for. i've done a ton of research and i'm not liking anything i've found. i want to be able to boat this year so i'm going to cough up some dough for a boat with a more common engine. thanks for the help! you guys are awesome

As much as I like my 470 (ya play the hand that you are dealt :rolleyes:) That is probably wise. You should hear the boat run (on muffs at least). If you do decide on a boat, take someone with you that knows boats (hull and engine) to make a final evaluation (even if you have to hire someone) before you hand over the money. Paying someone $70 an hour to look it over is a lot cheaper than getting it fixed. Lots of good boats out there. Good luck.