Powerhead rebuild.

foober

Recruit
I am rebuilding a 2002 Mercury 75 hp 3 cylinder powerhead. The machine shop bored the block out .20 over. I purchased a rebuild kit from wsm performance parts. During installation of the connecting rod to piston procedure, 2 of the rods would not mount to the pistons. I was using new pistons and new needle bearings. I assummed that I had tweaked rods. I ordered new connecting rods from wsm performance parts. The rod Number on my outboard is 646-818846. The rod they sent me is a 646-8188146a3.It fits on to the piston now but they feel tight. Is this normal? When I say it feels tight, I mean that it will not swing side to side on its own. You need to work it. I do not see the wrist pin turning inside the piston. Is this going to cause problem when I start this thing? Any help would be appreciated.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Powerhead rebuild.

You should have the 100-40 kit as this is for top guided rods. If you have the 100-35 kit it will not work as these are bottom guided pistons. If wrong pistons are installed the wrist pin bearing washers will bind against rod .