spark plug diagnosis?

SCer

Recruit
Doing some spring cleaning and pulled out my spark plugs and changed foot oil. The lower screw in foot had some metal shavings attracted to it but I was wondering what was a "normal" amount. This is at least 1.5 years worth of shavings.
Also checked the spark plugs but realized I didnt know what to look for when checking them. Here are some pictures and was wondering if I could get some feedback/lesson in maintenance. The plug with the excess oil around it was the lower cylinder (70hp 85' rude). Also noticed some carbon but wasnt sure what would be "normal" or not. The spark plugs are a year old. Any comments/tips? Thanks

Attachments

• plugs5.jpg
    plugs5.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 0
  • plugs2.jpg
    plugs2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
  • plugs6.jpg
    plugs6.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 0
  • plug1.jpg
    plug1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 0
  • screw2.jpg
    screw2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 0

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: spark plug diagnosis?

All completely normal. If it were my motor, I would put the same plugs back in. They're the most unnecessarily changed part on small engines, bar none.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: spark plug diagnosis?

The plugs look perfect and the metal fuzz on the drain plug is normal...man, you're in great shape on those items! You could just clean those plugs with a toothbrush(not wire brush) and carb cleaner and run them another year, or put in new ones...your call Good Luck!