Spark Plug Electrode damage cause & what to do

TCAP

Recruit
First let me say thank you for the wealth of information I already received here ? I have learned a lot..

1998 Merc 6.2 MPI / 320HP / Serial 0L683047 / raw water cooled? 88 hours. (80 of those hours are for my 2 seasons)
Stern drive B2?s

History ? Mar 1st 2010 pulled the exhaust manifold/riser/elbows for inspection ? minor rust / flakes, water channel look good. Replaced gaskets and reinstalled - planned on replacing in @year. Boat was hauled out on Apr 30th 2010 for fiberglass repair work / no engine work was done. I drained the engine prior to winter, changed oil / filters. Oil level good prior to launch. Multiple issues with repair facilities delayed launch. Engines have not been run since May 2010.

Launched the boat yesterday ? stbd engine started ? port engine had issues. After multiple attempts the engine did start but it sounded very weak & I heard a rattling sound ? immediately shut off. Yard mechanic came by ? same outcome. Called Marine mechanic who pulled the plugs. 1 plug had damage ? grounding strap and electrode were bent over. Engine will not turn over with key or manually.
They recommended replacing the engine instead of tearing down and repairing. Called another place today & said the same because they said it was more cost effective.

What could have done the damage ?
Doing some research today ?water, rust, carbon, rod / valve?, wrong size plug/gap could cause that damage. No water came out when he removed the plugs, plugs are correct size & engine ran fine before. I also have to add - If someone intended to do damage could they just drop something in the oil fill cap to cause this. (had an issue with a local shop & would not put it past them)

Would it be worth it for me to attempt a breakdown and look. - I do my own maintenance but never anything on this scale. How long would it take to breakdown & what would I look for ?

Any thought / advice / recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Tom