1988 Evinrude 110 question

Maddawg69

Cadet
Ok so I bought a 1989 20' Proline cc with a 1988 Evinrude 110 on it not running. The guy I bought it from said that it was running when he parked it and then it would turn over but not start. So when I got it home I checked for fire and it has it and when I sprayed a little starting fluid in the carbs it fired right off. I am not seeing any fuel in the fuel filter and I am not sure if the fuel pump is working. My question is if the fuel pump and what i think is the vro pump are one in the same or is there a fuel pump that i am not seeing.

Thanks,

Matt

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1988 Evinrude 110 question

VRO pump has two sides: one side is a fuel pump (engine pulse) and the other side is the oil pump (electric). You can buy a kit to rebuild the VRO.

If your engine is not getting fuel, you may damage your cylinders using starter fluid. Has the oil side of the VRO been disconnected for premix 50:1?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You didn't mention initially priming the fuel bulb hose (to fill the carbs and fuel filter) and then pushing in on the key switch (the choke) when you tried to start the engine. You should be able to constantly hand-prime the fuel hose bulb to fill the carb bowls. If everything is ok with the spark, it should run fine-as long as you constantly hand-prime the fuel hose bulb. If the pump is truly weak, the engine will quit running shortly after you quit priming the bulb. The starting fluid you are using doesn't have any oil in it and continued use of it can damage the engine.

Maddawg69

Cadet

The only fuel bulb i can find is one that is on the oil tank. The fuel tank is in the bilge under the floor. As far as the oil side of the vro being disconnected it does not appear to be disconnected the fuel lines all seem to still be connected to it. I shot a little starting fulid in it just to see if it would fire and did not do it again.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

There should be a primer bulb on both the oil tank line and the fuel line. Even with a built-in fuel tank, there has to be a primer bulb in the fuel delivery line-(unless you have an electric fuel pump-a rare situation on an outboard.) With time, some fuel may seep back through the line with periods of non-use, leaving some of the hose with no fuel in it. You always need to prime the fuel hose bulb when you go to start the engine after it's been sitting for a long period. This action will refill the carb bowls and the fuel primer solenoid (choke.) There must be one somewhere in the boat. Check the fuel hose from the engine backwards...

Maddawg69

Cadet

Thanks that is was i was thinking but as i said earlier i have yet to find one. i will look again today and see if i can find one. As far as the VRO pump can both sides be rebuilt or just the fuel side?

Maddawg69

Cadet

Guys Thanks for all the information i will work on it some more tonight and let you know what i come with.

Matt

Maddawg69

Cadet

Ok i got fuel up to the fuel filter but the fuel seems to be leaking out of the VRO pump. Will rebuilding the fuel pump side help with this? The fuel looks like it is coming out from where the pump is put together.

Thanks,

Matt