140r gear removal

gjohnson

Cadet
Does anyone know any good trick to pulling the top gearset out of a 140R stearndrive? (Keep in mind that I am just a back yard mechanic) I see I need to remove 1 bearing but how do I reach those damaged gears underneith it? I have ordered a shop manual from a Mercriser dealer in New Ulm, MN but I would like to get a start on it this Memorial Day weekend. (I am a 20 year vet by the way).<br />Thanks in advance!

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 140r gear removal

I just did this on my 120R, Model I outdrive. It is easy to get off. My outdrive weighs 80 LBs. They say to support it with hoist, but I have a hook screwed into a stud in the garage and just tied a rope to it for support. This is a good thing to do.<br /><br />Remove the trim cylinder nuts and pull them off the rear shaft. I had to remove the forward ones also. Don't stress the hydraulic hoses.<br /><br />Put drive in forward gear.<br /><br />Remove the 6 nuts attaching the unit to the bellows housing. Pull unit off the 6 studs. <br /><br />That's about it.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If you're replacing the gearset, then you'll need to have them shimmed up too. If you want to do it yourself, then be prepared to buy quite a few special tools, and no, you can't do it without them.<br /><br />Chris...........

gjohnson

Cadet

achris60 can you give me some idea of what special tools I'll need? My manual has not arrived yet.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You'll need the wrench for removing the retainer from the front of the housing, 2 tools for setting up the shims (one for the drive gear and the other for the driven gear), an in-lbs torque wrench for setting up the drive gear bearing preloads and an old lower box driveshaft for setting up the driven gear preload. Allow yourself about 4 hours to get it right. Anybody who says any less isn't doing them right. As with most things, there are 'short cuts', DON'T be lured into them!<br /><br />If your going to do them yourself, Good luck.<br /><br />Chris........