Mercury inline 6 versa inline 4 ????

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer
I am fixing to put a 90 hp inline 6 on a 1972 15 foot trihull Starcraft that had a 80 and 85 hp inline motor on it before. The boat is rated for max 85hp.Will the added weight of an inline 6 make any great difference on the transom.I know back in the mid to late 60s Mercury made an 80hp inline 6 which would lead me to believe that starcraft would take the weight of the inline 6 into consideration on the transom.I dont think give or take 5 hp would be a big factor in what the transom can hold.Whats your take on this?

arsenalpsu

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury inline 6 versa inline 4 ????

The weight isn't a big difference, you should be fine..BUT if the water police pull you over if he wants to be a **** you may get a fine. You should notice better acceleration (depending on the prop) but the 6cyl wil suck more gas.

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury inline 6 versa inline 4 ????

Gotcha, not not real worried about the gas I think the inline 6 look cool and sound good.As far as the water police are concerned down here in southern Arizona they want to see whats in your cooler and if you have enough life vests to accomidate everyone and make sure your a legal citizen and if you are caring any guns other than that they could care less..