Grumman 21'

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm considering at a 21' Grumman O/B. It is a mid-90's Great Lakes model. It has a great design, high freeboard, and comes well equiped. I believe it is riveted, not welded, but I haven't been able to confirm as I haven't personally looked at it and the seller isn't positive which it is. Does anyone have any experience they would like to share regarding Grumman boats, other than canoes?

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Grumman 21'

welded is much better and would make a real difference to me..make him take a pic with his phone and text-email it to you.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

welded is much better and would make a real difference to me..make him take a pic with his phone and text-email it to you.

Disagree. ;)

Either one is fine. We have a ton of aluminum boat restorations that have been done right here on iboats. Usually a hull of that size is riveted ;)

Grumman made great boats. My bigger concern would be the powerplant. If you have to re-power you are looking at big bucks. A 21' should be running at least a 90 on up to a ???

If the boat checks out many of us would say go for it.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

+1 for Bob. Grumman's known for making stuff that lasts, and pretty much any mid 90s metal hull has a lot of life left even if it's riveted.:rolleyes: Also, as Bob said, power plant is a major consideration. The 18' welded semi-v that is so popular around here typically comes with a 90, so you can imagine what a 21' V bottom would require to not be a dog. If you get some pics throw them on here. I'd love to see that beast. Dadgummit, not sure how I feel about agreeing so much with a feller from Vermont, especially one that listens to NPR on his boat.;)

Bob_VT

Staff member

Dadgummit, not sure how I feel about agreeing so much with a feller from Vermont, especially one that listens to NPR on his boat.;)

LOL my wife has been interviewed 3 times by NPR due to her job..... truth be known Wife likes county and I listen to rock and alternative........ opposites attract :D

lncoop

Vice Admiral

LOL my wife has been interviewed 3 times by NPR due to her job..... truth be known Wife likes county and I listen to rock and alternative........ opposites attract :D

Outstanding. Sorry, couldn't resist.

SparkieBoat

Captain

I am not real familiar with the larger aluminum boats,,,but I know that welded is a big plus in the aluminum boats around here..rivets tend to start leaking after time..I actually have never even seen an aluminum boat over 18'. must be a Yankee thing.
I have an old aluminum boat that use to be owned by the coast guard..it is riveted. I am currently waiting on a cheap used 24" jack plate so I can put outboard on it. I will post some pics. maybe one of you from up north can tell me what I have...my radio will not even pick up NPR

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I am not real familiar with the larger aluminum boats...I actually have never even seen an aluminum boat over 18'.

Sure didn't stop you from commenting though huh?

I'd much rather have a leaky rivet than a cracked weld.

In general it is very difficult to go wrong with any aluminum hull. Lots of us are even running ones from the '60s that are in excellent condition. I can think of only one brand of aluminum hull I'd be hesitant to own and it certainly isn't a Grumman.

I'm pretty sure all Grummans are riveted. I'd also like to know what motor it's got on it.

SparkieBoat

Captain

well I commented because no one else did, and i was just trying to be helpful...I know that when I look at aluminum boats I prefer welded. I assumed that welded was an option because of how the question was worded.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I wasn't trying to be a jerk...just that you expressed:

welded is much better

as a fact when it's a matter of opinion. Riveted vs. welded is one of those hot button arguements like outboard vs. I/O. All about personal preference.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'd buy a Grumman aluminum boat, they made some nice boats and canoes due to their expertise in building riveted aircraft. Similar to AeroCraft here in Michigan, after WWII all production shifted to aluminum boats.

I have not seen a welded Grumman, and I prefer riveted hulls. There are a few companies(not Tracker) that make high-quality welded hulls but you have to pay for that quality.

There are a few Grumman restorations on the site that you can check out, they are known as heavy-duty, well-made boats. Good luck to ya! :)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

All about personal preference.

And, just like anything else, intended use. They're so popular around here because Arkies are kinda crazy on the water; a lot of stump and beaver dam jumping during duck season, rock and deadhead dodging on trout tailwaters year round, that sort of thing. Really though, that was all going on long before welded boats came into vogue, so clearly a riveted hull will get the job done, especially in open water, which I assume our new friend will be frequenting. By the way, welcome aboard beckoning. Be sure to keep us posted.:cool:

Bob_VT

Staff member

Sparkie......... google Starcraft Islander and look at the images. Those are 22' rivieted boat hulls.

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class

O/B is Johnson 120hp, V4, injected. Boat has internal tanks and live wells.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's a great motor. Not going to be a speed demon on a 21' but should perform decently.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Sounds like a great rig. You might solicit general input regarding the motor over in the Johnnyrude section. In terms of the boat, it sounds like you know what you want and feel confident in your knowledge of what to look for and look out for. Don't forget ancillary things like wiring, fittings, potential trailer issues, etc. That stuff can add up quickly.

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My only concern is the rivets. I have an old Starcraft 18' that leaks more than 1 gallon/hr while trolling, and I don't want that again. The Grumman 21' seems very good.....high freeboard, deep V, custom bimini+storage cover, great trailer, new elect riggers and old Lowrance bw finder (no GPS), all reqd Coast Guard equipment, 4 pedestal seats+some fixed seating, solid motor, maybe even a kicker (9hp), all at a very good price.

I would really like feedback on the rivets vs welded.

Huron Angler

Admiral

If the seller cannot tell if it's riveted or welded...than take anything they tell you about the rig with a grain of salt. My 5 year-old son could explain the difference between the two.

I can assure you that riveted aluminum hulls are durable, trustworthy, and easily repaired when needed. Gluvit is a great product that can be used to fix and prevent leaks.

There are thousands of riveted hulls in use that are older than that Grumman.:)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I realize we're talking about a boat used in big open water that's frequently choppy (or at least I assume we are since it's Michigan), but at fifteenish that boat should not have any leaks. If it does that raises other questions that need to be asked of the seller, the main one being "why?". Can rivets work loose and develop leaks over time? Sure. So can welds. Each hull design has advantages and disadvantages as compared/contrasted to the other, but it would be silly to reject a rig based on whether it was riveted or welded. As I mentioned before, welded hulls are bad to the bone if you feel the need to jump beaver dams and run up and down shallow rivers at high rates of speed, but mass produced riveted boats have been satisfying boaters and fishermen a lot longer than their welded counterparts. I guess all I'm saying is don't get too caught up in the riveted vs. welded silliness, because given what I assume to be your intended use it's really not that important. One more thing. If you want a well informed opinion from a voice of experience PM 5150abf.