motor stalls when put in gear!

dadof2

Cadet
Hey guys the newbie has another question. The motor I just bought, (1998 mercury 60hp) Starts and idles good.When I shift in forward or reverse it stalls. If I shift slow and baby it, It slowly starts to pick up speed and goes. Once it gets going it runs fine. If I stop and go to neutral, it does the same thing again. Would this be the carbs needing cleaned or what? Thanks in advance.

Also can anybody decode my serial # 0G225490? Thanks

Bob Gilvary

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: motor stalls when put in gear!

Try choking it a bit when you put it in gear, if that helps then you need to look into those carbs and related fuel delivery.

dadof2

Cadet

ok i know when it is idling and i push the chock it wants to stall. but when i am idling and throtle it up (when not in gear) it throtles up fine. It only stals when under load.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Classic symptoms of too lean an idle mixture.

If the carb was recently cleaned and NOT adjusted correctly once on the water, then simply back out the idle mixture screws 1/8 turn.

If the carbs have NOT been cleaned this may be a sign that it is time for cleaning, accumulated minerl deposits have restricted fuel flow that it is noticed at idle, but if the idle is restricted, how much is the main jet restricted also? Run too hard while getting a lean mixture will burn/melt the pistons and require a total engine rebuild. It would be much safer and cheaper to clean and rebuild the carb(s) now.

dadof2

Cadet

ok, so as I get time I will try backing out the idle mixture screw and see what happens. The boat makes a beep when i turn the key on(warning alarm.) Will it sound the alarm if is not mixing oil? I have heard alot of people say to take off the oil tank and mixed the fuel myself. Is that worth doing. Thanks for the help!