How do I separate the powerhead from the lower unit ?

abigailmarie

Cadet
1987 Johnson J30ECUB - I am adding the long-shaft extension kit to my std. 15" and have come to a serious roadblock. It has turned into a major tear down and I have had to remove numerous engine components to get at some of the bolts.

Anyway, I can't find all the hardware that connects the powerhead to the exhaust housing assembly. there are a couple of bolts WAY down (or up if the engine is upright) there where the shift-rod connects to the lever in the housing. I disconnected the lower engine housing, but the point where the cast exhaust housing attaches to the powerhead is??? Do they use a REALLY long socket driver on those bolts way up there? Is there any thing else waiting to surprise me in there?

Thanks for the info...

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How do I separate the powerhead from the lower unit ?

Looks like you have four long bolts and two studs/nuts that attach the powerhead to the midsection. In the pic, the red dots show the bolts and green dots are the studs/nuts. The nuts will be inside the lower pan, front part of the compartment.

Be sure to replace the base gasket (item #1) when reassembling.

Attachments

• 30hp.jpg
    30hp.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 1

abigailmarie

Cadet

Awesome info, thanks. I had removed the 4 bolts, and now have located and removed the other two nuts from their studs (unbelievably hard to get a tool down in there!)... The exhaust housing assembly (#4 in the exploded view) still wont budge from the powerhead (the lower engine housing/pan is loose but in place).

Any further thoughts?

Thanks again

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

May be an obvious observation, but the powerhead should now lift off of the exhaust housing, not the other way around. The lower pan and exhaust housing will have additional bolts that connect them to the outer housing and steering bracket.

78 mckee

Seaman

No sure if that gasket was installed with sealer, some are, but I have always had to work hard to get the power head to separate from the exhaust housing. They like to stay together even with the nuts and bolts removed.

abigailmarie

Cadet

Aargh! It still won't budge. I even tried to pound a screwdriver into the seam between the powerhead and upper/outer exhaust housing and the connection there is solid.

I'm not sure, but it feels like there MUST be some hardware still buried in there somewhere. Does anybody know what the bolts up inside the housing connect to?

AlTn

Commander

Do you have the lower unit/driveshaft removed?..if so...the power head should rock side to side and front to back ...I'd suggest to try a fairly thick paint scrapper and go completely around that exhaust housing to powerhead gasket..pryzing it up a little at a time...it'll eventually come up with some patient wedging...

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

The power head should come out. Grab ahold of the flywheel and lift it out. The inner exhaust housing will come out with the power head. Just wondering, why are you removing the power head to install a extension in the midsection?

abigailmarie

Cadet

The power head should come out. Grab ahold of the flywheel and lift it out. The inner exhaust housing will come out with the power head. Just wondering, why are you removing the power head to install a extension in the midsection?

I am trying to get at the upper bracket for the new, longer shifter rod and to seat the new longer water pipe... Am I going about this all wrong?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

With the lower unit removed, you should be able to reach up into the mid section and get to the shift rod. You can also unhook the shifting linkage up in the cowl to make access easier. The water tube for the drive shaft has o-rings on both ends. Just push up into place......

abigailmarie

Cadet

SUCCESS!!! Got it, wow that gasket WAS really bonded in well. I can now easily get at the shifter & water tube, clean and grease the driveshaft coupling and clean out the motor pan (lower cover). Thanks everyone, esp. DargelJohn, 78 mckee and Cofe, now I really can't wait for Spring! ~~<__/&=~~

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good deal...

FYI - That base gasket should be replaced dry, no sealant. After you run the motor for the first time, you need to retorque those bolts/nuts that attach the powerhead.

abigailmarie

Cadet

Dry gasket, got it.

BTW, thanks also to AITn, the scraper tip really helped!

bassaholic1

Recruit

You are a god... love this site.. converting my 30 to long shaft.. real pain to get to the shift rod..

Thanks