Should I fix up or part out?

jsonnebe

Cadet
I just picked up what I believe to be a 1957 Evinrude Lark 35 hp. motor. The price was right. Here is my main objective:

I would like to get out on the water as inexpensively as possible (please keep snickers to a minimum...lol). I need a boat in the 16' range.

Should I part out this motor and put money toward a complete rig?

Or should I rehab this unit and buy a boat package without a motor?

The motor seems complete and would need mostly maintenance and controls.

Opinions are appreciated.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Should I fix up or part out?

that's a real old motor but if it's running, a vintage/collector might want it. But I don't think I'd start off with one that old for my general use motor.

35 is generally on the small side for most 16' boats. And most used boats are sold BMT (boat motor trailer). I'd start by looking at BMT's and if you find just a hull (BT) consider your motor. Otherwise sell it and use the money toward the new boat.

If you are a new boater, you don't want to start with a motor that you won't feel comfortable with, and which will require a lot of seasoned experience to keep running and to fix on the water.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Depends on how handy you are. If the compression is good and the lower end is not leaking you can most likely get it into a good, reliable runner for 100 bucks.
(2) coils = $36
points/condensers = $18
Impeller = $15
Carb Kit = $17
All available here at iboats.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Do you need a motor now or is this a project? Reason I ask is that I have a lot of projects that if I tried to get them on the water in short order would be very expensive and probably not worth it. But I am content to let them sit until I find parts at the right price. Probably like others on here I am a tinkerer with boat motors and various other endevors (motorcycles, cars, lawn mowers) and I don't throw much away. That said it is not cost effective. I do it for the enjoyment. To avoid it becoming to expensive of a hobby I scavenge yard sales, craigslist ect to find parts. Like TX1961 said though compression is my main concern. If I have a good powerhead I can usually scavenge or buy enough parts to put one together. If not I strip the parts and put them on a shelf for the next project.

Next question is what type of 16' er are you looking at? If it's a glass boat then I would move on, you won't be happy with a 35hp. If it's an open tin boat then I think it would do OK at 16' but a 14' may be better (always check the mfg. recommended hp rating for the boat before buying). Is this a tiller steer? If not then you have a whole other project getting the right control cables to match the boat and motor.