V8 swap from 165 hp straight 6 omc

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer
so. I have water in my oil on my 73 omc 165 hp straight 6

I have been trying to locate a suitable replacement, with so so luck.

It just came to me that I have a 400 small block in good running order.

Other than the obvious stuff (distributor, wiring exhaust etc) is that a swap that could happen without out a HUGE drive issue?

My drive is an OMC stringer. I am not sure if it 400 or 800. BUT if I had the forward motor mount would it work? or is there just to many things to change?

I am an ex Chevy line tech so the standard stuff is easy. I just wondered if the bell housing flywheel would work and what I would need for exhaust?

I cannot read the tag in the boat saying maximum HP etc so it would be my best guess on that. it is a 18 foot boat, and I think they did offer them with a v8.

anyways has anyone done this swap? what do I have to think about. or should I not even think about it?

thank for the input

semo549

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: V8 swap from 165 hp straight 6 omc

If your drive was made for an 165, I'm sure you would have the wrong drive ratio. I also highly doubt it would handle the extra ponies of the 400ci

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

thanks. I kind of figured. but wanted to know for sure.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it is an 800 drive it will take the power no problem. The V8 ratio is 1.5 ,the 6cyl not so sure.If it is a 400 drive forget it , it wont take the power.

86 century

Ensign

The 400 are external balance so the flywheel wont fly. It will bolt on but she will shake your teeth out.

Bondo

Staff member

Other than the obvious stuff (distributor, wiring exhaust etc) is that a swap that could happen without out a HUGE drive issue?

Nope...