OMC Skeg question

Zamble

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought this lower unit used. The skeg is slightly turned inward. Is it ok, or should it be adjusted? If it needs adjustment does anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMAG0371.jpg
    IMAG0371.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Skeg question

3# sledge.and a block of wood.That's what I'd use.NO HEAT!!!J

run2car

Seaman

It should not effect anything. If there is any pulling it should be very, very slight and could be corrected with the trim tab.

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

If it doesnt effect your steering just leave it as it is.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you try to bend it back it will likely snap right off. Leave it.

Wow..dual stringer drives. You must have a lot of spare time! :)

Zamble

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't know if it affects the steering. I just got the lower unit the other day and have not installed it yet. We were cleaning out the old fluid and letting it drain out tonight. We wanted to make sure what we should do about the bent skeg before we installed it.

Zamble

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I wish they were newer engines and outdrives, but I got the boat for 3k. One engine is new and the other was rebuilt a few years ago. So with the exception of this problem there has not been many issues. The only real thing I had spent time on was trying to figure out the stupid tilt motors. But I just bought two motors last night. That should take care of my problems.

But boat was really in good condition, just neglected. I love the size of it. Here in the San Joaquin Delta in CA, it is perfect. My fishing deck is pretty big.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Block of wood, 3# hammer, tap lightly, take 5 min to do it,I straightened out one on a boat I had a few years ago ,no trouble , just take it slow and dont hit too hard.

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have streightened a few with the hammer and a wood block. Being very slow and careful and having someone hold a heavy back up on the opposite side of the gearcase. Yours is so slight, there should be no problem. Just don't do it when it is cold.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Cast and a hammer don't mix too well.:eek:.. You don't even have to hit it very hard to break it... Did you even notice it was bent while driving the boat?? If it isn't causing it to wander.. Let it be... You wanta break it off.. Start banging around with a hammer:facepalm:

Zamble

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well it's done. Used a rubber mallet and a block of wood. Didn't even leave a mark. It's as straight as I could get it. Thanks for the help.