1974 Evinrude 75 hp outboard motor problem

petexd

Recruit
I just bought the boat and having problem with the motor. I'm trying to figure out if it is a simple problem that I can tackle or need to take to the shop. The motor starts up and idle when on the muff and hose but at the ramp in the water it is difficult to start up and once it starts up it it sputters out. I've been told the carb needs cleaning and also been told that it is the timing. It has been sitting for two years. Appreciate any input

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 Evinrude 75 hp outboard motor problem

If you have spark that will jump a 7/16" gap with the spark plugs removed, and compression in the 100+ psi range and even on all cylinders, the usual problem you describe is fouled, gummed, clogged carburetors.

petexd

Recruit

Thanks. I tried adding Sea Foam and Statron to a couple of gallons of fuel and ran it to see if it would clean out the carb. I guess it is too gummed up and I need to remove the carb and clean it. It is going to be difficult? I've never done it but I consider my self to be of fair mechanical ability, or this should be done by a real mechanic.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Neither SeaFoam or Startron will do squat for cleaning a carb. The carb needs to be completely disassembled and soaked overnight in carb cleaner, etc.