2.5 Merc

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 2.5 Merc

Wait 'til the admiral finds out what you paid for that 2.5, and you may be sleeping in that canoe! And you could have used that money for new furniture in the den....Good Luck!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Wait 'til the admiral finds out what you paid for that 2.5, and you may be sleeping in that canoe! And you could have used that money for new furniture in the den....Good Luck!

Spoken like a true amateur. That's what cash is for! Anyway, forgiveness is always more easily obtained than permission.:redface:

robert graham

Admiral

If that 2.5 is in good running condition, sounds like you got a great deal at $300!...it should push that canoe along just fine. I'll be looking for that mushroom cloud when the boss-lady finds out about this! Good Luck!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Well, I picked up the little Merc on Saturday. That little thing is cute as the dickens. I've never seen such a tiny outboard. Its weight is comparable to that of my 42 lb thrust Minn Kota. He was just filling the barrel when I arrived and we started it and visited for a minute while it ran. I made the comment that it wasn't peeing very much, which might be normal for one that size, especially when the a/v plate is barely covered, but he agreed with me that a new impeller would be prudent and immediately offered to knock off another $50 for my trouble. Other than the impeller I think she's ready to go. I just ordered one. I've never swapped one out, but this one should be pretty easy since there's no shift mechanism for me to goober up. Hopefully I won't end up having to move this to the Merc forum for help.:rolleyes:

robert graham

Admiral

Incoop, I did my first waterpump on my 90HP Yamaha a few months back and there really wasn't all that much to it. I had heard all the horror stories of corroded/broken bolts and stuck drive shaft splines, but none of that happened. I've had my canoe with the 3HP motor for many years and it's a great thing, especially for fishing in and around shallow coastal waters and creeks with lots of oyster bars and such. A pair of rubber oyster boots is real handy to keep in your canoe for shallow water fishing. Good luck with your pump!