1985 50 hp Merc question

krawczmwk

Seaman Apprentice
First, I am somewhat of a newbie to outboard maintenance. My motor has no power under load in WOT, in neutral, runs fine. My question may be simple, but I hope someone with more expertise can help. If the motor is running fine in neutral, could it be a stator problem? I have changed the plugs, but wanted to input before I dig deeper.

I have rebuilt the carbs and fuel pump BUT did not check sync and timing. I am going to replace fuel line and bulb and decarb the motor and then get it linked and synced.

I am not sure if is a fuel problem or a ignition problem.

Thanks for any help.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 50 hp Merc question

Serial# model# 3or4 cylinder?Do a compression test,then a spark test..J

krawczmwk

Seaman Apprentice

the serial number is 6485908, not sure of the model but it is an 1985. It is a 4cylinder. I plan on working on it this weekend. Can you let me know what type of gauge I need to do the compression test and where I might find one. I've purchased parts on iboats so I assume I can find one on the site.

thanks
mark

krawczmwk

Seaman Apprentice

Hey JerryJerry,

I bought a compression tester today. My question, I have read many posts on how to do a compression check and there seem to be many different ways to do one. I will list the steps I am going to take and if you wouldn't mind, check to see if I missed a step.

1. Warm engine
2. pull all of the wires from the 4 plugs
3. attach the guage to the first plug
4. ground the other 3 plug wires
5. in neutral, put throttle in wot
6. try to start the motor for 3 seconds, record the pressure
7. run the same test on the other 3 cylinders and record the pressure
8. check for pressure to be at least 100 and consistent across the 4 cylinders.

Does this sound right?

thanks
mark

krawczmwk

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I will definitely check the exhaust.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

My motor has no power under load in WOT, in neutral, runs fine....... I have changed the plugs..................
I have rebuilt the carbs and fuel pump BUT did not check sync and timing. I am going to replace fuel line and bulb and decarb the motor and then get it linked and synced. ...........

Questions;
Did it have this problem before you rebuilt the carbs?
Did you check for a hot blue 7/16" spark on all cyl's?

No spark on one cyl may seem to idle fine yet be an absolute dog once shifted into gear.

Often after rebuilding carbs a novice will adjust the idle mixture to best idle, which is too lean for an outboard, they need almost another 1/8 turn out on the idle mixture screws.

Either, or both of these can make a substantial difference once in the water.

Test spark and compression and repost your findings.

carholme

Rear Admiral

krawczmwk;

In post #3, you said you weren't sure about the model number. It comes up as Model # 1050524:

Model Manufacturer Year HP
1050524 MERCURY 1984 50

marinepartsexpress show the s/n as a Canadian made engine.

Don't know if you have the parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/275.cfm

Gerry

krawczmwk

Seaman Apprentice

One other question, Do you think a decarb using seafoam might help the exhaust problem?

krawczmwk

Seaman Apprentice

Yes sir, I did have the problem and thought the rebuild might help. I will definitely check the spark. I am also planning to check the idle mixtrue. After reading all the posts in the forum, I'm pretty sure they need to be readjusted.

Thanks for your help.

krawczmwk

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Gerry. I will make sure I keep the info and the link.
mark

wimico

Seaman Apprentice

I tried the decarb with Seafoam first and the thing smoked like a tar kettle so I'm sure it might have helped the combustion chambers but it didn't even phase the exhaust tube. I had to actually chisel out that stuff it was so hard.

krawczmwk

Seaman Apprentice

Wimico,
I read your earlier post. Thanks for the link and infor. Since I'm somewhat of novice, is it a big (complicate job for backyard mechanic) to do what you did with the exhaust. I guess my question is, is there a way to check the exhaust without disassembling the whole motor? I have the mercury manual and will check.

thanks
mark

RickyRegs

Seaman Apprentice

krawczmwk;

In post #3, you said you weren't sure about the model number. It comes up as Model # 1050524:

Model Manufacturer Year HP
1050524 MERCURY 1984 50

marinepartsexpress show the s/n as a Canadian made engine.

Don't know if you have the parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/275.cfm

Gerry

Sorry to just jump in here - but i have a 50hp mercury and i am trying to find the model year. I was told it was an '84 (with low confidence). My serial code is A103121 from what i can tell, it is an '85. Can anyone tell me?