Need advice on extending wiring from battery to battery

takirb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
In my old pontoon, the cranking battery was only used to start the motor. I had lights, cig lighter port, radio, etc wired to a seperate deep cycle battery. In my current boat, everything is wired to the cranking battery, except i have 2 trolling motor batteries for the trolling motor up front and that's it.

I'd like to add a deep cycle battery for the lights, depth/fish finders, radio, livewell, etc, and have the cranking battery only used for cranking. All accessory wires have circle connectors on the ends. Is it a good/bad idea to just bolt them onto a 4 gauge battery cable and connect them to a deep cycle battery, or maybe even to the trolling batteries? i'm just trying to find the best way to be able to run my accessories for a hours at a time w/o the fear of killing the cranking battery. Right now i just carry a spare cranking battery and some jumper cables, but that's getting really old.

Pics are current boat and wiring (what a mess). In order to even add another battery there i'd have to extend the wiring to get them out of the way to make room for an extra battery...

Attachments

• IMAG0291.jpg
    IMAG0291.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0295.jpg
    IMAG0295.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 0