renting my boat out ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ske11y

Cadet
Without getting to in depth, i was wondering how much i should rent my boat out for in the Charleston area? Its a 28 ft 84 Bayliner Contessa. It is in good shape all around for its age and has flybridge and is a walk around. Sleeps about 6. I just wanted a general idea on how much i should rent it out for without gas for lets say a day trip and a weekend.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: renting my boat out ?

Without getting to in depth, i was wondering how much i should rent my boat out for in the Charleston area? Its a 28 ft 84 Bayliner Contessa. It is in good shape all around for its age and has flybridge and is a walk around. Sleeps about 6. I just wanted a general idea on how much i should rent it out for without gas for lets say a day trip and a weekend.

Ayuh,... Depends on who's fixin' it after it's run aground, or otherwise Trashed....

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd call around to other places that rent out and price yours accordingly. Around here, the only boats for rent are tinnie's with a 9.9 ($40 a day) and 17 - 18' bowriders with a 3.0 ($80 a day).

I would consider what it will cost in insurance, cleaning, and repairs and decide if it's really worth it. I used to work at a campground that rented out small aluminum boats and it was amazing how trashed they would come back at times.

robert graham

Admiral

My 2nd on what Bond-O said, sorta similar to renting/loaning a chain saw or anything of yours that you value that other folks will find a way to screw up. And the Charleston Harbor area can be rough on a boat, with oyster bars, sand bars, shoals, pilings, stumps, submerged objects, etc. Good Luck!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Check with your insurance company to see if renters are covered under your policy as well (if you haven't alredy).

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Youll want to be charging a lot or have insurance for that...it'll get slammed imto docks, run aground, run wide open, not shifted properly...

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class

I worked for a rental car place part time. I would not do it after seeing the way people treat rental cars. Over night and they came back like they partied in them for a week.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

you need to go through a lot of steps for a commercial enterprise like that. If you are doing it under your personal insurance, it will be void. Your boat is 100% at risk and there is the possibility that you could be sued, personally, if your renter causes damage/injury. You might win a suit like that, but you will pay way more than the boat is worth to defend yourself. If your renter injures himself on your boat, he may sue you, and you will have no insurance.

Hire a good lawyer who specializes in small businesses, and who knows boats, to set you up. Prepare to spend a couple grand.

Still interested?

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

The same price you would charge to rent out your wife. :)

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I worked for a rental car place part time. I would not do it after seeing the way people treat rental cars. Over night and they came back like they partied in them for a week.

Just for the record I have never rented a car in Omaha,

The same price you would charge to rent out your wife. :)

I agree with this, in other words not a chance.

canadianmark

Cadet

Check with your insurance company to see if renters are covered under your policy as well (if you haven't alredy).

I have looked into this, renters aren't covered under any policy I have seen unless its specifically stated, outlined as an "extra" and would cost more. Its been said before that renters can damage your boat and you would have to come up with some sort of deposit arrangement and daily, weekly fee. It wouldn't be unusual to see a $500 or more upfront deposit.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

26' Houseboats are rented in my area. They sleep 6 and are probably cost new $100K or more. $1575 for a 3 night weekend rental and $2300 for a full week. The price includes cost of cleaning it afterwards. A 1/2 deposit is required in advance and a credit card # must be put on file for the rest. They have insurance that cover normal "accidents", but if you do something completely reckless like abandon the boat and it gets trashed, or you vandalize the interior, you will be responsible to fix it.

You can be sure the insurance costs are very high. You need to be insured because if you rent the boat and the renter kills somebody while driving drunk, you will be sued as well.

So, what's the Bayliner worth? Maybe $4000?, $6000? My business insurance costs $500 per year. For a boat with that high a liability, maybe you'd pay $2K per year? So If you charge $2K per week and rent it for 6 weeks over the course of a summer, you could probably buy a new boat with the proceeds. The question is....Is it worth the hassle?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I know a guy who sold his sailboat to a boat club, and basically rents it back when he wants to use it. Win Win. Consider that, since the reason you would rent it is that you aren't using it enough to justify the carrying cost.

to keep the discussion meaningful, let's withhold the NEVER NEVER responses. Consider it said already. The guy didn't ask whether he should; he asked what renting entails and rates.

stephanies

Seaman Apprentice

pv2a.jpgI rent out my waterfront Gulf Coast home, my ads for it have a photo of my boat sitting at the house dock....the number of people that ask if the boat comes with the rental house (Oh yes feel free to borrow my 2010 Stingray with 320hp to race around the harbor which is mostly 2 feet deep...).

Acually if I did rent it out the going rate is $700-$1000 per week but I would never sleep a wink ever again.....
View attachment 119084View attachment 119085

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I would rent it out "Operated" by you the owner, that way it'll come back in the same shape it went out in... and is the only way I would rent my boat out.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This thread was resurrected by a spammer (who has since been banned and their post deleted. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.