Stater or Switch Box

rsmall

Recruit
I have a 1983 2 cyclender Mercury that is only getting fire to the number 2 (bottom) cyclender. I can swap coil wires coming from the switch box and the number 1 (top) plug will fire. I have read and been told that this means the switch box is bad. However, I have also taken the wire off of the number 2 (bottom) coil, and the number 1 (top) plug will fire also, Is this a still a indication that the switch box is bad or could the stater now be providing enough power to let the switch box work? It seems the switch box will work on either side as long as only 1 side is hooked up to the coil.

I know you can check the stater using a DVA or ohms to rule it out but I don't have a meter to check with. I am almost sure it is the switchbox but I want to be sure before ordering one for 100.00 and it not be the problem.

I there any other way to check to see with part is bad?

Thanks for any help!
Rex

Laddies

Banned
Re: Stater or Switch Box

The stator is good as it fires 1 cyl and the trigger is good as it is only a single winding that fires the switch box off each end so that leave the switch box or coil and it's wiring and by switching them you have proved the coils.

rsmall

Recruit
Re: Stater or Switch Box

Thanks I am sure its the switch box this helps. i just don't want to spend 100.00 and it not be it.