Ignition Switch Or Starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yesterday, put key in ignition switch, turned to the "on" position and all guages come on......fine. Turned key further to start engine and sometimes everything goes dead! Turned the key back to the "off" position for a second and then to "on" and further to start and the engine starts turning over. We didn't hear any kind of "clicking" noise coming from the engine/starter (like I've heard in a vehicle), so we figure the problem is with the ignition switch. Don't know though. The boat is a 1992.
While the marine service center had our boat, changing risers/manifolds, I was asked by the owner if I needed a new starter. Apparently the same thing happened to the mechanic when he went to start up the boat for the water test. I told him "no"......couldn't afford that, but now thinking it could very well be the ignition switch instead. If I remember right, this same thing happened on the boat last year, but wasn't a continuous thing.
An ignition switch would be a heck of a lot cheaper than a new starter and I could install a new switch myself with NO LABOR COST:)

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Ignition Switch Or Starter?

Take the starter out and test it if you are concerned. Expense depends on the engine you are seeking a starter for. Could be the switch I believe thee are ways to test the ignition switch.

sasto

Captain

Measure voltage to and from solenoid with key in start position, is there any?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This is a duplicate thread, which is bad manners. See Electronics and Electrical.

Status
Not open for further replies.