help with hull repair

gcrouse

Cadet
hello i just bought a boat and for some reason the guy had screwed some screws down through some wood to mount something and they have ending up coming out the bottom of the hull up towards each side at the tops any advice on how to fix this would be greatly appricated, first time boat owner so dont know much about fiberglass repair thanks

Re: help with hull repair

gc,

Welcome to iBoats. This might be very fixable but it will depend on your comfort level in making the repair. Can you post some pics of the damaged areas?

gcrouse

Cadet

014.jpg015.jpg sorry tht pics aint to great its a wood screw tht has went through about maybe an 1/8 of a inch

These are below the waterline?
Do you have any experience doing body work?

gcrouse

Cadet

yes they are below the water line and yes i have done a little body work just never with fiberglass

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I would just MarineTex the holes.

Yeah that is was what I was going to suggest as well. I wanted to see how many holes he had first. But yeah you are right...Marine tex.

gcrouse

Cadet

2 one one each side and would u take the screws out or just cut them off level with the hull

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Definitely take them out. Hull flex would cause them to immediately bash through your repair otherwise.

gc,

Like EZ said remove the screws. You could replace them with shorter ones if you like. Open up the hole slightly with a drill bit, pack in the marine tex and wipe clean and flush and then let it cure. It probably will match the gel coat fairly well. Besides it's on the bottom only the fish will see the repair. ;)