Ignition Switch Or Starter?

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yesterday, put key in ignition switch, turned to the "on" position and all guages come on......fine. Turned key further to start engine and sometimes everything goes dead! Turned the key back to the "off" position for a second and then to "on" and further to start and the engine starts turning over. We didn't hear any kind of "clicking" noise coming from the engine/starter (like I've heard in a vehicle), so we figure the problem is with the ignition switch. Don't know though. The boat is a 1992.
While the marine service center had our boat, changing risers/manifolds, I was asked by the owner if I needed a new starter. Apparently the same thing happened to the mechanic when he went to start up the boat for the water test. I told him "no"......couldn't afford that, but now thinking it could very well be the ignition switch instead. If I remember right, this same thing happened on the boat last year, but wasn't a continuous thing.
An ignition switch would be a heck of a lot cheaper than a new starter and I could install a new switch myself with NO LABOR COST:)

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: Ignition Switch Or Starter?

Yesterday, put key in ignition switch, turned to the "on" position and all guages come on......fine. Turned key further to start engine and sometimes everything goes dead! Turned the key back to the "off" position for a second and then to "on" and further to start and the engine starts turning over. We didn't hear any kind of "clicking" noise coming from the engine/starter (like I've heard in a vehicle), so we figure the problem is with the ignition switch. Don't know though. The boat is a 1992.
While the marine service center had our boat, changing risers/manifolds, I was asked by the owner if I needed a new starter. Apparently the same thing happened to the mechanic when he went to start up the boat for the water test. I told him "no"......couldn't afford that, but now thinking it could very well be the ignition switch instead. If I remember right, this same thing happened on the boat last year, but wasn't a continuous thing.
An ignition switch would be a heck of a lot cheaper than a new starter and I could install a new switch myself with NO LABOR COST:)

Luvboating,
May want to move this thread to the I/O repair section.

In any case, I would start by cleaning and tightening the battery connections at both the battery and at the block/starter. What your describing for symptoms sounds like dirty or loose connections; I.E. "everything goes dead" when your battery connections have a high amperage demand placed on them.

LuvBoating

For people looking at this Thread, I have placed it over to the I/O repair section as well. I guess it could be in either section.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

For people looking at this Thread, I have placed it over to the I/O repair section as well. I guess it could be in either section.

Not. This is an electrical question. Nothing to do with what kind of engine is involved.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I replied to your post in the IO section, might want to have a look at it for the troubleshooting link.

glastronomic

Seaman

solenoid would be my first point of call after checking the wirring connections and state of battery.
Starter motor second, ignition switch/ neutral switch in Morse box after that

LuvBoating

If I remember right and please correct me if I'm wrong, if it's the starter (and there is a "clicking noise), all power doesn't go dead........like it does now, when it happens. I think I remember this happening from a bad vehicle starter. I'd turn the key to start engine, heard that "click" noise, but power didn't die in vehicle.

Bondo

Staff member

If I remember right and please correct me if I'm wrong, if it's the starter (and there is a "clicking noise), all power doesn't go dead........like it does now, when it happens. I think I remember this happening from a bad vehicle starter. I'd turn the key to start engine, heard that "click" noise, but power didn't die in vehicle.

Ayuh,... It depends on What, 'n Where yer problem lies....

From yer description in your 1st post,...
I'd suggest you start be removing, sanding, cleaning, reinstalling, 'n greasing, ALL of the wiring ends between the battery, 'n the motor...

Including ALL the Grounds....

The symptoms Sounds like it's just a Bad connection....