1994 Johnson 50 hp 2 stroke mid-range accel problem

djcvet

Cadet
I have been fighting a mid-range accel problem for some time on my 94 Johnson 50hp 2 stroke engine. I have had a professional mechanic working on it and he is now scratching his head. I start it and then idle out of the cove and then start accelerating. The engine will accelerate to about 2500 RPM and then it will just stop. I can push the throttle wide open and it will just stay at 2500 RPM. We will go for about 5 to 10 minutes like this and then all of a sudden it?s like someone turned a switch and it will take off up to 5400 RPM W/O. We have performed the following:
1) Installed new spark plugs.
2) Installed new power pack.
3) Removed both carburetors, disassembled and clean, and installed new kits in both.
4) After new kits installed, mechanic made several adjustments and we still have the problem.
5) Removed the VOR pump and installed a fuel pump only (I now mix the oil with the gas)
It almost appears for sure to be an electrical problem but not sure what.

Any ideas?

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 1994 Johnson 50 hp 2 stroke mid-range accel problem

try disconnecting the quick start wire coming from the temp sensor to power pack..and the over heat wires going from temp sensor to power pack...sounds like your power pack is going into SLOW mode