Transom Leak on SeaRay 200

RFLORY

Cadet
I am currently looking into purchaing a used boat. It is a 92 SeaRay 200 with a 5.0 Alpha 1. The general appearance of the boat is really great. It has the original upolstry and does not look to be beat up. It appears to have had the floor cut out by a previous owner over the Gas tank area. I assume to resolve an issue. Owever this has caused some Floor Rot. I am comfortable with Replacing/Repaing the floor as I had to do that with a previous Boat However while on a lake test yesterday we noticed a small leak from the transome. My first assumption was a bellow issue. However, after looking closely at the boat after we pulled if from the water it appears that the Gimble Housing (I think that is what it is called) is a little loose. If I pickup on the drive you can see some play where it rests on the Transom. I also noticed that when we backed the boat up it appeared to take on quite a bit more water so I suspect that when reverse is engaged it is pulling the housing away from the transom and letting water in. I looke and there appears to be a little rot around the hole in the transom as well, but it doesn't look major. We are still interested in the boat provided the dealer repairs everything dealing with the drive. I will still do the floor. Question is what else should I be concered with given these issues. The boat is the right price as we are not real heavy boaters, just taking the kids to the lake several times per year. Any advice is appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Transom Leak on SeaRay 200

If I pickup on the drive you can see some play where it rests on the Transom.

Ayuh,... Find another boat,...
The transom is Rotted out in that 1,...
'n, No, there ain't no Easy fix....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

agree with Bondo, there ain't no such thing, as Minor transom rot, it's rot, that you're going to have to fix (big job) and also, you don't know if the prev owner fixed the deck (and probably stringer rot) right either. Keep looking, unless you like being covered in fiberglass dust....

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agreed, let it go. Look to the resto forum and see what Frisco's boat had in store for him. That or buy it knowing you are going to rebuild the whole thing. My '95 Ray has a removable panel above the tank, but I'm not sure what year they started it.

RFLORY

Cadet

Thanks for the input guys. I think it would be a great project but I have too much on my plate now to take it on.

Thanks again.