87 Searay Seville transom bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer
I am looking for a supplier or link to find replacement through transom bolts for an alpha 1 gen 1 mercruiser. I have found the lower bolts for the with anodes:), but unable to locate the middle studs and the upper bolts.

The closest I have found are some Stainless steel bolts 7/16 x 4. the thing is they are about 1/4 of an inch to short and the threads don't seem long enough.:facepalm:

I have considered buying the ss bolts and attempting to continue the threads further using a die, but concerned of the finish and hardness.

thanks in advance

Sail on.....tink

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 87 Searay Seville transom bolts

I am looking for a supplier or link to find replacement through transom bolts for an alpha 1 gen 1 mercruiser.

Ayuh,... Get the Right 1s, from Mercruiser....

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

Bondo thank you for the reply but I'm still a little confused on what I have found.

I need a little help in clarification on this. I have found quicksilver part number 55989a8 as a kit, but not sure if the bolts are aluminum or the anodes are. The kit sells for what one bolt sells for in other places. I am looking at going with magnesium but looks like these kits are aluminum. If the bolts are the same I would like to buy the kit and change all the anodes to magnesium to match later. I understand zinc isn't used much anymore but kits are still available.

Just a little confused.

sail on tink

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... If yer talkin' 'bout the Bottom 2, they're aluminum double-ended studs...

A nut goes on the inside, 'n the anode goes on the outside...
They're shouldered on the outside as well, so the inside nuts can have clamping force...

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

I guess I was talking about two different bolts my apologies, the upper bolts I have found, but the lower anode bolts, the ones with nuts on the inside of the transom and the carriage type heads on the outside with threads to accept the anodes.

My question was/is, will the quiksilver kit 55989a8 be adequate as most say they are aluminum. I assume the bolts weren't but the anodes were. Some places price just the individual bolts at close to 50 a piece whereas this kit has it all for the same price. My boat does not stay in the water at night, it is launched daily.

thanks bondo for the responses.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is this the kit you are referring to?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Those are the same aluminum studs I've been talkin' about...

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

I will get a set ordered and on the way. My concern was with the anodes being aluminum, originals were probably zinc, when I get a chance I'll replace them all with magnesium so as they will match. Thanks for the replies.

Sail on.....tink

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The bolts are aluminum, not sure what the anodes are made of in that kit. They may be zinc, weight would tell, and you may have to replace them with the proper aluminum alloy.

Status
Not open for further replies.