Making my Crestliner Dry

gofishjim

Recruit
I have a question for any creative Crestliner Owner who may have come up with a fix for the wet ride on all Crestliners. I have my first one after owning at least 8 other brands over the years. I have 50 years experience on Lake Erie with driving in 6 plus foot waves and my customers are getting soaked no matter what I do or how I drive. I am considering adding, welding a chine or rib if you will, to the side of the boat just above the water line to deflect the spray...has anyone ever done that or heard of anyone else doing it?

Best Fishes

Jim

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Making my Crestliner Dry

My 61 16 ft Aluminum Crestliner came with a splash guard.100_0761.JPG100_3827.JPG100_3826.JPG. They are just riveted on, and the wave hits it and splashes away from the boat. You can see it just above the water line in these 3 pics. Good luck adding one to yours.

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hope I don't have 2 posts on the same thing, PC is screwing up. My boat is a Nordic 18, 1986 variety. I think this vintage is prone to water running up the sides and getting you wet. My boat is small, but others in this era that I have seen exhibit the same sort of splash. I saw a boat similar to mine which had been modified with a splash rail to deflect the water downward, but it was a bit "rinky-dink". I thought of having a professional do something, but thought better about it. Maybe a new boat is the answer. I fish walleye out of Erie, PA and it can be real wet, even in 2 footers. I just snap in all windows and canvas. I guess your boat is much larger. Good luck.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Mine is only 16 ft. I put the top on for protection against the weather here in north Idaho. Heat, rain, snow, wind you name it. It also helped me hold the boat steady, and adding a 30 gal gas tank in the bow did too. The lake I usually go to in Montana usually has high wind going north and strong current going south. 2 foot waves with whitecaps are not uncommon. I know Lake Erie can give worse, but those guards used to come with the boats in the 60's and some of the 70's anyway. I knew the original owner of this boat and it came from the factory with it. The water hits the rail and while still going up, also goes out, and at the whole 21mph I can do with my 40 hp motor it doesn't come over the bow. Just some of the waves to tell me it's time to head in.