470 starter

whatsagm

Seaman
I have a 1982 470 that i need a starter. I bought one that i thought was suppose to be smaller. This one i have almost weights as much as the old one. I know there is a high torque smaller stater available. I did a search on the forum but no luck. I have seen this posted before. Any help would be helpful. Thank you

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 470 starter

You may have seen this discussed here. dn and stonyloam seem to have good luck out of those starters. I put one on my 470 as well but haven't had much chance to test it out other than cranking on the ground. It turns it over pretty darn fast.. and it shows they are made for Mercruiser.

Plenty of places sell those starters, but last time I was looking around, a lot of places had them on backorder (even locally). There is a seller on ebay that sells them at a good price, but ArmatureServiceCo sells them for the cheapest I could find, if he has them in stock. The part number is: 2-2591-DR-2.

Not sure if that is the exact one you are thinking of, but might get you in the right direction.

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 470 starter

Aye, armature service co had the best price and it really is a wonderful starter. You may need to do a little wiring if you're current does not have a slave solenoid but, small price to pay for the upgrade...