93 Johnson 9.9

omaha

Cadet
I just picked up this motor, it is a long shaft and i really need a short shaft but i am just gonna get a lift on the rear for now. the motor has sat outside for 3 years and has not ran. I plan on doing all the regular tune up stuff, but i have a question with this motor with it not shift into gear unless the motor is running? I was just looking over the motor and it seems that the shifter wont move very much. I dont want to break the shift lever but i was just curious. also has anyone converted one of these motors to short shaft?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 93 Johnson 9.9

Sure, but you would have been way ahead getting the right length in the first place.

LEM

Recruit

I think there is a lock-out system (partially effective) to help keep from starting the motor in gear.

I have a long/short shaft 1988 Johnson 9.9 that I have converted back and forth twice over the 20 or so years that I have owned it. Going long to short for my motor IIRC all you need is the short shaft drive shaft and I think a short shaft shift rod but I can't exactly remember for sure since it has been awhile. Basically you take off the lower unit which on my model is pretty easy once you disconnect the shift rod through a small port. Then you remove the extender coweling and remove an extender pipe piece for the water intake. Next change the drive shaft and change the shift rod and then put it all back together. When I bought my motor the dealer would do it for free if they got to keep the parts when going from long shaft to short shaft.

omaha

Cadet

yes getting a short shaft would have been great, but this motor was 100% free, my grandfather had it sitting around and said "hey do you want this for your boat" so i figure converting it is cheaper than buying a new one.

stevo10081984

Seaman Apprentice

for the price of the conversion kit you could pick up a late 70's early 80's short shaft motor 2-300, or just spend 100 bucks on a cheap jack plate...i would leave it the way it is, its worth more that way...good luck

omaha

Cadet

yeah i am leaning toward just getting the jack plate.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Keep you eye on ebay if you want to go shortshaft You'd need short exhaust seal,shift rod and driveshaft and a bolt.Pretty easy make over. Or just buy a short lower unit. 5 inch jack plate?????

omaha

Cadet

yeah i am gonna just buy a jack plate cause it will actually suit me better as i am gonna use this as a duck boat so i will be able to move the motor up and down as needed

mark1961

Ensign

for the price of the conversion kit you could pick up a late 70's early 80's short shaft motor 2-300

All i'm seeing on ebay etc is good units for more than twice those prices......i have a friend who can bring one over for me from the west coast to oz for cheap too, where did you see em for this price?

omaha

Cadet

yeah same here and i really dont want a motor that old

mark1961

Ensign

yeah same here and i really dont want a motor that old

The age doesnt worry me within reason, spare parts are still readily available, an early 80's would be ideal though. Motors in your part of the world seem to be used alot in freshwater, the reverse is definitely the case over here.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On most of these motors the gear clutch dogs are of substancial size & if they are not aligned when the motor is not rotating they will not slide together to mesh. You WILL break the shifter lever. Or just pull the rope starter slightly as you try to shift it until you find where it goes in gear.

Converting to short shaft is rather simple on these motors. The driveshaft is the same for 1974 up to the last 2 strokes in about 2002. You can probably sell your driveshaft, 5" spacer unit, & shifting rod to someone & get their short shaft parts while still making $100 & both of you will be happy. Then all you would need to do is cut your water tube off 5".