Best way to fix welded aluminum hull? 1994 Spectrum "16 Sport"

randys

Seaman Apprentice
Will welding the cracks do any good, or is it better to seal the cracks (with JBWeld) and then use something like Gluvit over the seal and rest of inner hull?

I have a Spectrum 1994 16? Sport model. (Painted welded aluminum, bow rider, 40HP Force, 12 gal below-deck fuel tank.) The hull leaks bad enough that boat would sink if left in water unattended overnight. For simple fishing purposes, the single 500gph sump pump can keep up with it.

Inspecting the outside bottom of hull, I found several hairline cracks that run next to 4? long welds that attach aluminum hull material to stringers. The welds are not continuous, spaced 8" to 12" apart. From the outside, I can see slight dimpling of the hull aluminum from factory original welds, and creases from the edges of the stringers. The cracks all run lengthwise to the boat. I assume they are stress cracks, with the welds being stronger than the immediately adjacent aluminum.

I tried some short-term external-hull fixes using slow cure 3M 5200 adhesive, and aluminum strips. After several weekend camping/fishing trips, the strips held, but the leaks did not stop. I assume that there are additional cracks I could not see covered by trailer bunks, or under the keel strip.

I plan to remove the carpet, deck and water logged floatation foam, and seal the hull somehow. I do not know how the bulkheads/stringers are arranged, but I'm assuming that I can remove the foam around them for access.

I don't know if the cracks occured due to stress in certain areas and have stopped, or the whole boat is being pounded to pieces in the waves and new cracks will follow each repaired crack.

I've read every "Spectrum" related post in the forums.