volvo penta AQ125 B won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

joefed

Recruit
Can someone give me some troubleshooting advice. Can't get my engine to start unless I run a jumper wire from the positive on the battery to the positive on the coil and a negative wire from the coil to the distributer. I will be checking for the 12 volts going to the coil later on today. What else can I check?

boat doc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: volvo penta AQ125 B won't start

The ignition wire on your key switch? points or electronic ignition?

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Joefed,<br />Have a look at previous thread from greg578 on similar subjects.<br /><br />peter

greg578

Cadet

Yeah gotta love them volvos, I have found mine to be very moody. If it doesn't start, go have a beer and it'll start tommorow(if it feels like it). I had problems getting mine started, start by checking your ignition switch, then your points on your distributor, coil, wires, and of course your plugs. Is it turning over?

joefed

Recruit

I hope I don't sound dumb but how do I check the ignition switch on my key switch? I know the coil, points, distributer, plugs and wires are good because we jumpered the battery to the coil and coil to the distributer.

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

joefed, since it starts with jumper wires, remove one at a time and see which one it doesn't start on. seems like your coil isn't getting volts to start/run from the system. the starting volts come from the battery, thru the solenoid to the coil @ 12 volts. the run voltage comes from the battery, thru the switch, thru a resistor on some models, and to the coil at a reduced level.

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

to answer your question on the switch, i use a volt/ohm meter in the ohm position and check for continuity across the terminals as the key is turned. i removed the switch to ensure no path anywhere else.

michelebspy

Recruit

my selnoid isn't working and I assume that it's attached to the starter. How do I take it off to bring it to a local repair shop? I have managed to take out two bolts but don't know if there's any more things that need to be removed since it's not going anywhere right now. Thanks

Squeaky

Status
Not open for further replies.