1981 Wellcraft V20 CC

Hey all, brand new to iboats, been looking for a project boat and reading a lot on restoration. This site has been an invaluable resource and I haven't even got a boat! Until today. I purchased this beauty off of EBay sight unseen. I figured the price was low enough that I could get away from this monster if its going to be cost prohibitive to restore. i.e. sell it back off for at least what I paid for parts or the hull. I really like the design of the boat and have heard nothing but good things about the Wellcraft line, especially the V20's. I've already found the wellcraftv20.com site and plan on utilizing them, but wanted to get everyone heres first impressions!

Thanks, and I can take some criticism if it's due me.

My concerns and priorities-

1) Check the Transom and stringers.
I've read a lot about checking the transom with a hammer, screwdriver, poking the holes with your fingers, etc. If you all have some better ways of checking it for this boat specifically please let me know.

How do I check the stringers without ripping up the deck? Or will I just have to on a boat of this age.

2) The engine does not run according to the ad. OMC (is that the nail in the coffin on this boat?) I have a mechanic friend who works cheap and has done marine engine repair. He says he can even get a seized motor running again. I believe him, of course the issue is cost. Will post more when we know what all is wrong with the engine.

3) Is the trailer sound for travel, I have posted in the trailers forum for advice on what to check when I see the boat first time.

Again, and words of wisdom or advice are greatly welcomed. Thanks already to oops, he has helped me gain a healthy respect for what all goes into a restoration, repair or stretch job as the case may be! :D

Thanks in advance, and safe boating!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1981 Wellcraft V20 CC

I would Definetly tow the boat to the nearest garage and have the axle bearings re-packed before towing home. How far do you have to go??? As far as the motor goes, the OMC power plant is NOT a preferred motor but if your friend can get her up and running then I guess you might get off ok. Looks like a LOT of interior work and you will probably need to check the deck, stringers and transom to. The boat appears to have been abused. It's 30 years old so.... It is what it is. I would think you could very easily have 3 - 5 k in this boat before you get her on the water. You could probably find one Ready to launch for that price. DO YOU REALLY WANT to take on this amount of work and expense to revive this boat. In the end, you WILL have a boat that you will KNOW that is Solid but the Power Train is NOT desirable.

All things to think about.

I've already thought about a lot of your concerns, 700 miles one way. The trailer hubs are being greased before I arrive by the seller. Then I agree straight to the mechanic for a good once over to make her road worthy. I'm willing to drop the time and money into the boat. As I've said, I've spent a lot of time looking at the restorations going on here. I'm aware of the depth of time and wallet it will take, maybe not fully away but I did some generous rounding up on all accounts. I love a good project, keeps me busy.

As far as the powertrain goes I've already discussed it a bit on the wellcraftv20.com forums. Transom rebuild to a used outboard seems like the best option right now and the suggestion has been made, that motor may net me some minor cost offset for parts since they ARE so scarce.

Thanks for the thoughts!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's a real sharp hull and the trailer looks pretty good. You certainly got a good deal. There's more than $275 worth of stuff there for sure. The issue, as discussed is the OMC Stringer. I just don't know if you;d want to put a bunch of money into that. I personally wouldn't be real interested in owning a powerplant I'm reliant on ebay for parts. I'd consider converting it to an outboard or a Mercruiser sterndrive.

Thanks for the encouragment. A lot of the comments I've gotten on the trailer post I made were very negative. I came into this knowing I would have a LOT of work to do. I love the restore forums and have spent two weeks straight reading them. Tons of valuable information. I look forward to getting my boat and getting to work!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's cuz your trailer post was titled "what did I get myself into". People on here just love to tell you just what you got yourself into! :D:p

Lud,

Welcome to iBoats. My opinion is if you like the boat and are willing to spend the time and money fixing it up then go for it. You will learn much about the boat and the expirience you gain from the rebuild is priceless. I would try to get the original motor and drive working (w/minimal investment) and see how it goes. Second option I would go for an outboard as EZ suggested. I really like that model Wellcraft. Good luck and keep us posted.

I will probably pull the motor and get it to my friend who likes working on these things, give him a budget and see what happens. The mechanics of the motors are above me at this point, I'm more interested in the restoration of the hull itself. I'm guessing and correct me if I'm wrong but before I do any work to the transom I'll need to decide on the motor. Everything I've read so far says stay away from the i/o for ease of maintenance and especially stay away from the OMC branded motors of that era b/c of the parts shortage with no restock in sight!
Opinions? Total cost of ownership? I/O vs. Outboard, and initial cost as a secondary consideration.
I know I can start working on pulling the deck, checking the transom and stringers, wiring and all the other hull inspection tasks before I make any decisions, also the planning of the final outcome will take some time. So I can wait to see what comes of the engine.

Any thoughts?

Well I got the boat home today, initial inspection shows a DIRTY BOAT! I took some pictures I will be loading later tonight. The first impression I got from the deck was mostly sound, it's soft around the captains pedestal seat, the rest is firm, there is dry rot on the bulkhead into the cuddy cabin and the cabin it's self. pounding on the transom I was quite amazed. It sounds solid. The same goes for the stringers I was able to get to. They are also fiberglassed over. I'm not sure if this was common but will post the question into the wellcraft website and see what kind of responses I get. I've heard wellcraft had a problem with interior delamination of the glass, this one appears to have survived well. When I remove the outdrive (which seems to be sealed very well) I will know for sure, on both delamination and rot. First task is to get it clean and show some before and after pictures. This weekends tasks are laid out!

Pictures of the boat!

DSC03245Small.jpg

DSC03248Small.jpg

The only hull damage I've found
DSC03243Small.jpg

The cuddy cabin has rot on the bulkhead behind the insturment panel and passenger side along with the floor in the cabin towards the bulkhead.
DSC03259Small.jpg

I cleaned the junk out this evening but mother nature took over and prevented the taking of pictures.
DSC03264Small.jpg

jonesg

Admiral

Nice find, from the pics the trailer is worth $600+.

The boat, from the pics,

ok...the stringers , motor mounts and transom probably need replacing,
engine is shot and DOA.
Replace and replumb fuel tank, re-wire, dual bilge pumps.
Batteries.

The cheapest way after the rebuild is a bracket and used 225hp outboard.
You could go that way for around $4K total if you shop craigslist,
or repower with I/O , but that usually costs more.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=390374&highlight=bracket+conversion

This one is a wellcraft conversion to outboard.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=262606&highlight=wellcraft+makeover

Well today I had the local shade tree mechanic come over. Yesterday per his instructions I put a full pint of Marvell Mystery Oil down into the carb. Today he came out with a pipe wrench and put it on the harmonic balancer. He stepped on it one way, stepped on it the other way. She broke loose. 5 minutes. WD-40 into the ports, and about 10 more minutes of turning and the girl turns freely. The starter is dead. Put a new battery in it, there is no key so we jumped across the solenoid. It clicks, we turned the engine by hand while jumping the starter and it started making a trying noise but it wont crank her over. Sprayed down the bilge and engine with engine degreaser, going to pressure wash out the inside of the boat and the below decks region so I can see what I'm working with and so we can work on the under part of the engine without living in 2 inches of grease.

I cleaned the boat exterior today.
Before
DSC03256Small.jpg

After
DSC03276Small.jpg

Before
DSC03258Small.jpg

After
DSC03275Small.jpg

Before
DSC03270Small.jpg

After
DSC03277Small.jpg

Nice boat! Wow, what a difference with just a cleaning. I would definitely try to get the original power plant going if the compression checks out okay.

jonesg

Admiral

If it runs with a rebuilt starter you could get $1000+ for that today.
Duct tape and seat covers.
I'd still covert to bracket/outboard.