warning alarm

dadof2

Cadet
Hello everyone. I am new to boating and have a problem. I inherited a 1998 fisher marsh hawk from my grandpa a few months back. He has a 9.9 mercury on the boat. It was remote steering, but not oil injected. I have been mixing it 50:1. Anyways the motor didnt have enough power for me, so I bought a used 1998 mercury 60hp. The controls worked on it and the guy I bought it from installed it for me. It is oil injeted. After he installed it he started it and it seemed to run good. It smoked quiet a bid because I had mixed gas in the tank and there was oil in the tank on the motor. (To much oil he said. Not a big problem.) I took the boat out today and I filled up the gas tank, (just gas) to help dilute the oil. When i started the boat it imediatly started sounding an alarm. Needless to say the boat never come off the trailer. I let it run a few minutes and there was water coming out the pee hole and I know it had some oil in it. (The mixed gas in the tank). The alarm comes on even when the boat isnt running, just turning the key on makes it come on. It is a constant buzz. Any idea what my problem is? I just dont know why the alarm didnt go off the 5-10 minutes it was running after he installed it. but it is when I get home. Thanks in advanced!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: warning alarm

If the alarm comes on without the engine running then there is likely a bad alarm module or the wire from the temp sender is shorted to ground, or the temp sender itself is bad. Disconnect the wire from the temp sender. If the alarm stops, the temp sender is likely bad. If if doesn't the wire is either shorted to ground or the module is bad.

dadof2

Cadet

i was just thinking. The 9.9 didnt have the speedometer hooked up, so after the guy installed the 60hp it ran with no alarm. When I got home i took off the back floor where all the wires go to the motor to find the hose for the speedometer. I found it and hooked it up and screwed the floor back down. Maybe I knicked a wire wire putting the floor back??? where is the temp sender wire? How can I identify it? Thanks in advanced again!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Don't know exactly on that engine but look at the cylinder head probably toward the uppermost cylinder. It will have just one small wire coming from it. The wire does not run under the floor, it runs from the engine to the control box through the big electrical harness. I doubt you hit it with a screw.

dadof2

Cadet

I went out and checked it today, and i did run a screw threw a brown wire in the wire harness. I fixed the wire and taped it up and now the buzzer dont go off. So the problem is fixed now. It does make a single beep everytime I turn the key on, Is that normal and what is it for? Thanks