FINALLY some pics of the boat and some questions/ideas I have

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There should be pics (finally) of the boat. I read a post on using Vaseline to "restore" the shine. As you can see, my baby needs it. Also, I'm looking to replace the side seats. Anyone know where I could find some like the ones pictured? Unfortunately, the manufacturer of the boat is no longer in business, but I would think the sizes of the seats would be more important. The carpet is shot, and thanks to this site, I'm looking at 3 options to install. Also looking to get some windshields. I'm thinking Lexan or plexi. I know a guy that owns a glass shop, and he says he can make some for me.
The boat is a 1986 Performance Plus Magnum 150. 'Spossed to be blue, not the blue tinted white seen here.

Attachments

• 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 0
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 0

NYBo

Admiral
Re: FINALLY some pics of the boat and some questions/ideas I have

You're going to have to use what you've got to make patterns for replacing whatever is shot.

Can you feel the metalflake when you rub your hand on the hull? If you can, you are going to need to reapply clearcoat.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Forget Vasaline. Go to your closest marine Dealer and get a couple bottles of 3m Marine Fiberglass Cleaner and wax part # 09009. Use a commercial buffer starting at the slowest speed. Following instructions exactly as printed on the bottle. Looks like the boat is about 17ft. It will take at least two bottles to do the complete outside. If you intend to do the inside too. Buy three. Some you will have to do by hand. DON"T try it with a walmart or wax buffer as it will be trashed after about one hour. It MUST be with a variable speed commercial buffer. I do this for a living,. "Chuck's Fiberglass" After oyu get it polished out let it set in the sun or where dry for a couple days for the compound to harden then wax it with MCGuires Marine wax and then keep it waxed twice a summer.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Take your seats to a couple of local upholstery shops for prices. You can figure about $50-$100 per set, including vinyl.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Yup, the vasaline is a band aid fix that won't last, it needs to be buffed to get rid of the oxidation as Bavier pointed out, if you can feel the flake it needs recleared.

Buffing can be a chore but if you go slow and take your time it is worth it adn is the only way to get the shine back, if there is enough clear left to shine.

And a local upulstery shop is your only real option with the seats, Ia m sure even if the company is still i buisness they couldn't get them anymore.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Nice boat. I am anti-windshield on a fishing boat. I used to fish the BASS circuit and lost a couple of fish while maneuvering around the boat and the windshields caused obstacles. Your choice to have them.

You can purchase pre-molded ones on the net and ebay based on the width measurement. I am not so sure I would spend allot on seat cover's too........ they get stepped on allot! However, getting them repaired locally is the easiest.

Dang.... I am not a purist. Shiny boats, new seats and windshields are okay if you are fishing for the opposite sex but, I do not need that stuff to fish!!!! :D

That is a nice boat and when you are not fishing and the time/weather permit, I would use a polisher and 3m stuff and not the vasoline.

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thx for all the input. The boat is a 16'...you were close cbavier...very good. lol I'm gonna try the Vaseline for the hell of it, I'm not trying to make it a show boat, just minimal effort to make it look just a LIL better. If it works, it works, if it doesn't...so be it. The seats aren't really that big of a deal, it's a fishing boat, not a pleasure boat. I was even thinking about taking them out all together and putting hinged plywood in there place. As for the windshields, it had them at 1 time, I'll spend 100 or so to have them back, just cause. I'll post pics after I try the Vaseline. I've seen other pics of boats that Vaseline was used on, and those boats came out nice. Granted, they might not have been as oxidized as mine, but I don't think I can make it look any worse. I'm more interested in it running to the best of its ability, the looks aspect is just something to do while I wait for my tach to be delivered...lol. For such an old boat, I was surprised at what lil I had to do mechanically to get it running better. Changed the starter battery, re-bushing the prop, add a tach and fix a leak (still tracing that down), and that was it. I'm gonna put a speedometer, only because it has 1 that isn't connected, and adjust my carbs. I'm hoping that's the reason for my slow speed (slow in my opinion anyway).

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, the upholstery is not hard, pull the covers off yourself, the foam should be OK. Either take them or send them to an upholstery shop to duplicate. Then just restaple yourself with either stainless or monel staples (monel is better but more expensive).

Vaseline is a really temporary fix, but up to you. Wet sand and compound would be my plan on something that oxidized.