1976 Evinrude 135 Pisser Addition?

iloveketchup

Seaman
Hi,

I bought a motor that i thought was a 1978 but turns out the powerhead is off about a 1976. The back buldge has no outlet port to the pisser. I guess around this year they just let the water out the exhaust and had no visual check for cooling flow.

A marine mechanic told me this is an easy add if one drills and taps the back buldge similar to the next gen crossflows. Does anyone have experience or a photo of something like this?

Also has anyone experience where a good spot to mount the power trim/tilt box on a 1976 powerhead is? It doesn't have the holes/box as the "newer" ones. I'm thinking about making a bracket on the starboard side of the motor.

Thanks in advance.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 Evinrude 135 Pisser Addition?

Yes, you can drill and tap the outer exhaust cover. It's also possible that you could find a used outer exhaust cover from a 1978 140 and newer and just swap it out. These early power trim boxes had single solenoid inside. That made the box fairly large-probably won't fit under the cowling. Most of these early trim boxes mounted away from the engine, usually under the rear splashwell of the boat and were wired direct to the battery. The newer boxes use relays and are much smaller so that they can mount on the back of the powerhead and are plugged into the main engine wire harness.

iloveketchup

Seaman

Yes, you can drill and tap the outer exhaust cover. It's also possible that you could find a used outer exhaust cover from a 1978 140 and newer and just swap it out. These early power trim boxes had single solenoid inside. That made the box fairly large-probably won't fit under the cowling. Most of these early trim boxes mounted away from the engine, usually under the rear splashwell of the boat and were wired direct to the battery. The newer boxes use relays and are much smaller so that they can mount on the back of the powerhead and are plugged into the main engine wire harness.

I have a control box to use off a newer 85ish looper that has 2 relays. I think it is small enough it will fit under the cowl. I couldn't see a really good place to put the relay box on this boat (welcraft V20). On the rear spash well/battery area i could just forsee this thing getting submerged in water. Then again, Maybe that would only happen if the bilge pump went kaput or i left the battery disconnected. I'll have to look it over.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You need to do some more research on your trim motor. The early OMC trim units that have the solenoid used a 3 wire motor. The trim boxes that mount under the cowling are for 2 wire trim motors. Different system.