Alpha One Leaking Gear Oil?

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello,

I have a 1986 Mercruiser 260/Alpha One. I have been away at school for the last month or so, came back for the weekend and went outside to look at the boat. There's a little bit of snow around the drive, but I took a closer look and saw a lot of green-colored snow right beneath the oil drain screw... I am sure its gear oil (b/c what else could it be..), but I don't understand how it got there. I replaced the gear oil and drain screw gaskets as part of winterizing back in October. So my question is, what are the best/worst case scenario(s) and what should I do from here? I assume I should take care of the problem now so it doesn't get worse..

0226011154.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Alpha One Leaking Gear Oil?

Hello,

I have a 1986 Mercruiser 260/Alpha One. I have been away at school for the last month or so, came back for the weekend and went outside to look at the boat. There's a little bit of snow around the drive, but I took a closer look and saw a lot of green-colored snow right beneath the oil drain screw... I am sure its gear oil (b/c what else could it be..), but I don't understand how it got there. I replaced the gear oil and drain screw gaskets as part of winterizing back in October. So my question is, what are the best/worst case scenario(s) and what should I do from here? I assume I should take care of the problem now so it doesn't get worse..

Ayuh,... Do you leave the drive in the Down position,..??
Do you winterize with antifreeze,..??

Worse case is, somethin's Leakin', 'n you've gotta figure out What,..??
depending on yer answers to my questions,...
The 1st step in yer diagnosis might be, Go taste that green snow, 'n report what it tastes like,...
Slippery, or Sweet,..??

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I winterize with antifreeze and leave the drive in the down position. This is my first winter with the boat, though, and am not sure what the previous owner did. He says it was always winterized by the dealer. What should I be testing to see what/where it is leaking?

ziggy

Admiral

I am sure its gear oil (b/c what else could it be..),
probably is then. smell it. gear lub has a disticnt smell. could be anti freeze, but i would think if ya put anti freeze in it, ya'd have used the pink stuff. if ya used green. back to smelling. if it don't smell like gear lub, it must be anti freeze. my 'guess' is it's likely gear lub.
but I don't understand how it got there.
if it's gear lub. ya gotta leak somewhere.
I replaced the gear oil and drain screw gaskets
did ya remove the old drain screw gasket and be sure that there wasn't one in place prior to re installing the drain screw with a new gasket. if there's 2 gaskets in place, that could cause a leak.
am not sure what the previous owner did. He says it was always winterized by the dealer.
imho, that's irrelevant...
What should I be testing to see what/where it is leaking?
gotta be sure it's gear lub first. do that. leaks always run downhill. so find out where it's running down on the drive. like from the drain screw? or the drain hole in the ft. of the bullet on the lower? etc. there should be some tell tale.

if it's a gear lub leak. ya may need to pressure test the drive, which is performed w/o gear lub in the drive. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430 look at #8..

leaks can occur at the quad ring (the seal between the upper and lower), ft. seal of the upper, shift shaft, drain plugs, and more... spraying soap and water while under pressure at a suspected place can help locate a leak. ya can also separate the upper and lower and pressure test again. more soap and water..