Bondo, et. al. torque shift prop tech question

groznyiv

Cadet
I have a 1992 mercruiser 3.0L in an 18ft chaparral open bow. I need to know what torque shift prop to buy. I am currently running a 19 pitch stainless ballistic prop which gives me a top speed of 45mph at 4500 rpm but the ski pulling power has dropped off compared to the 17 pitch aluminum prop that was on it previously. The biggest problem with the 17 pitch prop is wide open throttle is at 5100 rpm.<br /><br />I have the opportunity to buy a torque shift that is the 144-132 model with the zz cam. What do you recommend? I will not be able to test the prop before buying unfortunately.<br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br />David

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bondo, et. al. torque shift prop tech question

Sorry, I've been Really Busy......<br /><br />
144-132 model
You'll need to find a Torque-Shift with a #126 as the ending part #s.........<br />The #132 means it's a 32" prop in High Gear........<br />Way Too High.......<br />The 26" can be limited down to about 17/18"s High Gear.........

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

groz----many of the Torque Shift units you see for sale are the higher pitch models that people purchased and the do not work on lower horsepower applications. There is a chart on the Torque shift web page which lists all applications.<br /><br />I had to change cams on my prop to get the right power band and shifting for my rig. The people at Torque Shift did this for free, but I purchase a new prop from them for about $675 two years ago.<br /><br />A quality stainless runs about $500 new, so I bit the bullet and bought direct from the manufacturer.<br /><br />If you have any problems, they will stand behind the product if you buy from them.<br /><br />Good luck!

groznyiv

Cadet

Thanks for the information. I have another question. I read an article just this morning while doing a search for the torque-shift prop,<br /> http://www.stingrayboats.com/products/reviews/tb3_99.html <br /><br />They tried the 144-126 on a 3.0L sterndrive and found it ventilated and slowed 0-30 times. They then tried a 144-132 and it performed better. What are your thoughts, is this due to the boat hull-motor setup or something else. <br /><br />Thanks again