Blower hose brackets/clamps

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer
My boat has a pretty typical blower setup... 2 exhaust ports on the port side of the boat, and the blower + an extra intake hose on the starboard side. I've read all the threads about how to route the hoses and it seems pretty straightforward. However, I can't find any posts on what is recommended to secure the blower hoses to the boat (the deck, transom, etc) on their free end. Such as the intake hose from the blower fan where it is to lay in the bottom of the engine compartment. What can I use to secure it to this location? The hose I have is more flimsy that I had hoped and it won't stay in place without some clamp or bracket.

I saw one guy's pic on here where he used some sort of large diameter metal clamp, but didn't see any info on it, nor can I find anything through search.

Thanks for any ideas..

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Blower hose brackets/clamps

Large zip ties that have eye ends ( so you can screw the zip tie where you want ).

YD.

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

I like that idea.. thanks YD! I knew it had to be something simple. I see that Lowes sells those too.. great

Bondo

Staff member

However, I can't find any posts on what is recommended to secure the blower hoses to the boat (the deck, transom, etc) on their free end. Such as the intake hose from the blower fan where it is to lay in the bottom of the engine compartment. What can I use to secure it to this location?

Ayuh,... Gravity holds mine in place, quite nicely....

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

I'll have to get a picture of the hose that I got. When I bought it online, it looked like just regular blower hose, but it seems more flimsy than the others I've seen on here. When I stretch it out, it will sort of just spring back into the coiled up position. I suppose after keeping it stretched out for a while it would stay put. Once I get everything else installed in the engine compartment, I suppose it won't have a lot of room to move around anyways.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey DC

Just an FYI MOST guys keep their posts for their boat on ONE thread so it is easier to follow along on the ENTIRE rebuild. I noticed you seem to start a new thread each time to start a new phase of your re-build. I guess that is OK but it makes it kinda hard to follow along with ALL of the different phases of your project. Just something to consider.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Bah...

I dont see where how to clamp blower hose has anything to do with tightening a lug nut..

I prefer you keep your subject matter of your resto in seperate threads myself..makes thing a bit easier for me at least ( I dont have to go through 94 pages of posts just to reply to a specific item ).

Now posting 4 different threads on how to put in stringers is another thing... I dont see anything wrong with your threads..

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

I agree it's easier to keep up with everything that I've done to the boat by starting a rebuild thread. The reason I haven't done that yet is... it seems to me that not everybody that reads the forums reads every rebuild thread. I know I only read a handful of them because there are so many! Having said that.. I'm not sure if the few people that would be keeping up with my rebuild thread would be the best to answer every single question I might have with regards to the hull and engine. If somebody goes to my rebuild thread and sees a question on the last page of it, then they'll have to go back through a bunch of posts to get caught up.

I've been thinking about starting a rebuild thread, just to show the progress of the rebuild from start to where I am now (which is far from the end :(), and for any advice along the way.

Even the folks with rebuild threads still ask other specific questions in the forum, right?

Anyways.. I appreciate all of the help from all of you guys. It's funny to think that before I found iboats, I didn't know what the heck a stringer was or a transom! Or distributor points... on and on.. :O

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok.......havint the zip tie thingy worked out....(the other is a hose clamp)
on the outer decorative air vent or scoop....there is uasually a backing plate that has a lip on where to attach the vent hose.

for the intake you really dont need a hose, just as long as the air has uninterupted movement to the motor bilge area.

the blower exhaust is different...it must be attached to the vent so the fumes do not get back into the bilge.
you can go to the local hardwars store and get a tin dryer vent flange, and screw that to the inside of the outward vent.
this is assuming you are useing a 4 inch standard vent hose....but there are smaller ones

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah there is a box directly under the outside louvered vents (called collection boxes I guess?), and those boxes each have two round nipples for the hoses to attach to. No problems there.. So as far as connecting the hoses to the vents, that's covered. I didn't know that I didn't need the hoses on the intakes even though it makes sense. I was thinking I could take one of the intakes (not the blower intakes) and put it close to the flame arrestor on the carb.

The blower side... the blower fan is actually the flange type (squirrel cage) and it screws right to the bottom of the starboard size collection box. So the intake hose (of the fan) clamps to the blower and runs down to the bilge area for the gas fumes. This is the area of my question I suppose.. how to keep that hose in position.

The collection boxes use the 3" hose, but that darn blower fan itself uses a 4". When I measure the blower, it's between 3 and 4 inches, so the 3 inch wouldn't fit no matter how hard I tried. So I ordered some 4". That should get it done... and the zip ties.

Wew.. leave it to me to make something easy.. hard. :)