Bayliner 2452 for Camping?

Grant Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've still got a bad case of 2 footitis .
Can't seem to shake it so I am going with it. I am seriously considering a 1994 Bayliner 2452 with a 5.7 for sale locally for $13,500. Seems like a good deal if it all checks out.
My only question that I can't find an answer to is how many people will one of these sleep?
We are a family of four with 2 kids, a boy 10 and a girl 8. They insist on separate beds as far away as possible.
I am not considering that this would be a week at a time cruiser, just a few over night trips out to the San Juans and Gulf Islands from the Vancouver area.
Also, what is the minimum vehicle required for towing one short distances to the ramp?

Go Aweigh2452

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bayliner 2452 for Camping?

The dinette breaks down for a bed and the front berth is big enough for 3... (two adults and a child). Or you could put in the drop curtain and have one sleep in the cockpit area in a sleeping bag. Not many options except telling the kids to get real and live with it. Great boat for weekends, etc. The wife, dog and me sleep in the forward berth all the time. We have been on our 2452 3+ weeks at a time with only occasional one or two days at home last summer to re-provision or do laundry. This summer we go out 4th July weekend and return sometime in Sept. We head to Friday Harbor first then up to Broughton Archipelago for the bulk and then over to Ucluelet for at least a week of fishing. Not many other boats with a good head in that size. I'd threaten the kids with using them as a down payment for the boat. You are going to have to let them know who the bosses are in you home. I'd never put up with that kind of attitude from my kids. In fact, I would leave them with a family or good neighbor if they dislike sleeping together.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

There's enough room. I sleep with my gf in the cabin then have my bro and his gf on the seats folded out on deck on my 1952.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We have a 92 2452, great fishing and cruising machine, the dinette sleeps 2, bairly. Check the drain hole in the transom, the one in ours was drilled through un sealed wood. The transom was soaked, I found it when I had the motor out. I had to grind off the glass from the bottom foot of the transom then dry it for 2 months with an electric heater,then reglass it and gell coat. If the boat has a 305 (5 liter) you will find it a little shy on power. My 350 Magnum transplant made all the difference, better milage too.Good luck and happy boating:)

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does it have a canvas cabin enclosure? This will greatly increase your comfort and livable space. I also used to take my canvas boat cover, snap it down to the windsheild and then pull it back and drape it across the front seats. This provided a lot of extra covered space right outside the cuddy door.

Grant Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those are all good ideas. I wasn't able to go to look at the boat this weekend. Hopefully it will still be available next weekend. Looking in the Seattle area that's not really an exceptional deal so maybe I'm better off not to rush anyway.
Go Aweigh2452 - that sounds like a hell of a good summer, I've had some very, very good fishing in Ucluelet and Tofino. Do you have kids or just a dog? Do you all sleep on the boat every night? Do you carry a tender to get to and from shore? My kids are great kids, hard core campers, not whiners and tough as nails (both train MMA 3x per week). They just are at the age where they don't want to sleep in the same bed any more and I want to give them the respect of getting a boat big enough for all of us.
Maybe I should be looking for a 28 foot command bridge cruiser.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check the latest Boat Journal, a couple of pretty good ones in it.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Those are all good ideas. I wasn't able to go to look at the boat this weekend. Hopefully it will still be available next weekend. Looking in the Seattle area that's not really an exceptional deal so maybe I'm better off not to rush anyway.
Go Aweigh2452 - that sounds like a hell of a good summer, I've had some very, very good fishing in Ucluelet and Tofino. Do you have kids or just a dog? Do you all sleep on the boat every night? Do you carry a tender to get to and from shore? My kids are great kids, hard core campers, not whiners and tough as nails (both train MMA 3x per week). They just are at the age where they don't want to sleep in the same bed any more and I want to give them the respect of getting a boat big enough for all of us.
Maybe I should be looking for a 28 foot command bridge cruiser.

You need to find your "sweet spot", so to speak. Take some time to decide what the biggest boat you can handle with comfort and confidence would be. Now you need to figure out the biggest you can afford, not just to buy, but to maintain and keep fueled. The biggest expense is not the purchase. It's the upkeep. Don't rush into anything with a boat. Take your time. Figure out your capabilities, needs, wants, and means. Make the most well educated decision possible. Have fun, and keep us posted.