johnson 48hp spl

steelheadsam

Cadet
screwed up and put my email as my name dont do the net all that much but same question i put on here earlier any help i greatly appreciate!!

heres one for you, 1988 johnson 48hp spl had a lean knock sputter type thing going on with super erratic idle had both carbs rebuilt and motor lynched and synched, went to pick it up and mechanic was trying to tune everything up but said it was not reacting to any adjustments of spark advance or or idle then all the sudden it just took off and went wot i turned key off hey pried both plug wires off and disconnected fuel supply it ran without spark for about 30 seconds then finally came down and died we pulled the plugs suspecting heavy carbon buildup causing a hot cylinder what we found was a spotless too clean lean looking #1 upper cylinder he thinks its most likely an upper crank seal causing a vaccum leak and a lean condition, im gonna change it out this weekend and see if it helps, any other thoughts?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson 48hp spl

Definatlely somewhere to look. Was he running in a test tank or on muffs?

steelheadsam

Cadet
Re: johnson 48hp spl

it was on muffs i got the seal tonight gonna throw it in on sunday, gotta do some sturgeon fishing tomarow! i saw a guy that had put a thread up about a 35hp that was acting the same pretty much he linked a you tube video to ithis problem looked to be some kind of exhaust leak if i remember right but im not sure where those are on my motor
Definatlely somewhere to look. Was he running in a test tank or on muffs?