Merc 302 V8 how much?

little joee

Cadet
This is a "feels about right" question for all of you experts. I have a fresh rebuild Ford 302 that's complete from the carb through the exhaust risers.

Originally it was one of the 188hp fords, but it was supposed to be given a "performance" rebuild, but I can't (or don't know how) confirm it.

How much is this worth?:confused:

Any help is appreciated.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Merc 302 V8 how much?

The price would depend on the reputation of the "marine engine builder" plus what Marine parts comes with it. What cam?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Boat Topics, not a repair or maintenance type question.

little joee

Cadet

The rebuilder is a good one in Eastern Washington so I don't have any problems there. I can't confirm the cam used, and I'm not sure how to check (without removing it).

The parts that come with it are; flame arrester, Holley 2 barrel marine carb, intake, distributor, solenoid, wires & plugs, engine (obviously) extra valve covers, exhaust manifolds, risers, starter, flywheel, coupler, bell housing.

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

With out knowing any specs. ie. did he change to roller cam bore stroke cam lift duration there is no way to even estimate

even with all that information it would be a guess at best. the only real way to check your out put is to have it run on a dyno, other than that you'll have to rely on the builders reputation

Good luck

Bondo

Staff member

The parts that come with it are; flame arrester, Holley 2 barrel marine carb, intake, distributor, solenoid, wires & plugs, engine (obviously) extra valve covers, exhaust manifolds, risers, starter, flywheel, coupler, bell housing.

Ayuh,... It's still got the 2bbl. carb,...
It's still a 188hp....

Btw,... It Won't fit in the boat in your signature...

little joee

Cadet

Btw,... It Won't fit in the boat in your signature...

That is correct! That's why I'm asking the initial question. I have to admit I purchased it with that intent, but after some help from these boards and some measurements I came to my senses. It was purchased in the dead of winter so I did get it for a pretty good price (<$1000) and I'm hoping to use the profits to help fund the replacement of the original motor.

I know I can purchase a remanufactured for $1100 to $1300 depending where I go, but with all the supporting components I'm hoping for at least a little more.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

sounds like you can get your money back. I would not hold out for more.