Transom seal question

jmwj03

Seaman Apprentice
Spent the weekend replacing the wood in my transom and the stringers. I hope to have the motor back in by next weekend. The only piece I am waiting on is the transom seal gasket to go between the gimbal housing and the transom itself.<br />I think this is where the majority of water got in the transom as the old one was cracked and had grooves in it...almost looked like a piece of wood that has been infested...it had "trails" through the material where it look as if something had "eaten" its way through the seal.<br /><br />2 questions:<br />1) Before I replace the seal, should I, and with what, should I paint the inside of the gimbal housing? <br /><br />2) When I replace the seal, should I use just the seal or should I put some sort of silicone on one or both sides? The original appeared to be just the seal, but I want it as permanent as possible. Of course, if I need to remove it, the silicone would probably tear up the seal.<br /><br />It's an 18' Mon Ark with a 3.0 OMC and OMC Cobra outdrive.<br /><br />Thanks!

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Transom seal question

Jay painting is up to you. the seal is usualy just dry, since you changed the wood it should be ok. make sure you torque the bolts and nuts to spec evenly. you can put a bead of sealer around the outside if ya need to.