Full face SCUBA mask?

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Last night, my girlfriend and I took a "discover scuba" class which is basically where they put you in a pool with minimal instruction and you get to swim around with the gear on. There actually was a lot more instruction than I had expected but that's beside the point...

Prior to last night, we were thinking about taking the actual PADI open water certification classes starting 3/3/2011 but last night my significant other had problems getting used to breathing thru her mouth alone and found it very difficult to breathe with the mask on. I'm thinking that some time in the pool with a snorkel may be enough to get her used to breathing with the mask on but in case it's not, I've been looking into full face SCUBA masks. My questions are:

1. Can she take the certification class with a full face mask?
2. Will a full face mask solve her problem of needing to breathe thru her nose?
3. Are full face SCUBA masks fitted like a full face HAZMAT respirator? I am OHSA certified to wear a full face respirator and have been fitted for one but don't know if the same fitting requirements are in place for SCUBA. I imagine not since anyone can buy a regular mask but figured I'd ask anyway.

1980Coronado

Re: Full face SCUBA mask?

I have taken the PADI cert, have been diving for almost 10 years, but have never used a full face mask. From my limited knowledge of the full face mask....They are used mostly by the military and safety personnel, where communications are needed, or for cold water diving. They are being increasingly used by recreational divers but they are cost prohibitive. One issue she will have as a beginner using a full face mask is equalizing pressure in her ears. You can't pinch your nose off to equalize with a full face mask. For experienced divers this isn't an issue because they have developed other techniques, but a beginner is going to struggle equalizing in a full face mask IMO.

I would have her just keep working with a regular mask to get used to it. Snorkeling is a great way to practice.

During your PADI open water course she will be required to completely remove her mask, put it back on and clear it. This is one of the required skills to pass the water portion of the class. This may seem easy, but I've seen people completely freak out, panic, and not be able to complete it. It is an essential safety skill because it is possible for someone to knock your mask off with a flipper...trust me it happens. You will also be required to remove the regulator, let go of it and then locate it and put it back in. Another skill you will have to perform is an underwater removal and donning of your BC vest, as well as your weight belt. The BC is easy...the weight belt is a tuff one if you fight it. All in all its a very fun class....and not too difficult if you are comfortable in the water.

The problem with her needing to breath thru her nose will quickly be solved on your first dive. If she tries to suck air in thru her nose the mask will be pulled into her face. With the added external pressure exerted by the water at 20 ft this isn't very comfortable. Actually...as you decend you have to blow a little air out of your nose to equalize the mask on your face...otherwise the pressure builds up on the mask and makes it uncomfortable. My sister forgot this little detail once and ended up with a black eye!

I hope this helps....I would really try to avoid a full face mask until shes more experienced. Just my 2 cents....I love diving and wish you well in your classes. It is a really safe an enjoyable sport....and you cannot compare it to snorkeling. The stuff you see when you dive is just amazing....you never see the color and detail from 20' away on the surface.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I am a PADI instructor, I in my personal experience with over 2000 dives, would not recommend a full face mask, full face scuba will not solve her problem, My wife had the same problem when we lived in Hawaii, she just could not get the breathing through the mouth thing, what I did, was to get a mouth piece and actually used a clip to close her nose, but not in water, we used to practice while we were watching TV, and then it eventually started to come natural to her..

Clearing a full face mask is actually very difficult, there is quite a bit of volume in that full face mask.

As my wife just said, the idea of breathing underwater completely freaked her out, and now she is a vet of 200 dives, don't rush her, let her progress as her own pace, with the equipment and she will come along

1980Coronado

Great point! I never considered the volume of the mask....that would be a challenge.

Do they even allow a full face mask in the open water course? Would be surprised if they allow it.

Wow 2000 dives....living in Hawaii? That musta been rough ;)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

You can use any mask you want in an open water class, there are ones that are discouraged, but nothing is banned..ya living in Hawaii was fun, cause the Military was paying the bills, but I would not do it on my own, it is very expensive...but some of the benefits are great...right now, sitting here at 13 below with over 6 feet of snow on the ground, the thoughts of being in Hawaii, look real inviting!

TBarCYa

Thanks for all of the good information. It looks like we're going to postpone the class until she can get some time in the water snorkeling and feels more comfortable with it.

Thanks.

j_martin

Admiral

Good plan. Good technique is not just a good idea, it is essential for survival.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

As silly as it sounds, just using a mask an snorkle in a bathtub can help her get more comfortable. It's not natural for you to try to breath with your face underwater so just the little bit of water in the bathtub can help. Then practice clearing the snorkle. That comfort level goes a long way toward relieving the anxiety and allowing a person to actually learn and not just be overcoming fear.

dlindeblad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Full face masks are more expensive, but as low as $350s and up toward $1,300 ish. Cost is not the issue. You want your spouse to feel comfortable in the water and the full mask only helps with some of that underwater calmness. IMO full face masks make it harder for inexperienced users to clear their ears as pressures change. As with many activities like flying and boating, start small and work your way up, in this case to a full mask for communication dives. Sounds like you got the ticket though. Good luck.

TBarCYa

Equalizing her ears was another issue because she has her nose pierced and couldn't pinch her nose closed. She's already said that she'll take that out next time tho.