1988 175 mercury overheating

kidnmolly

Cadet
We at the end of the year my motor started to overheat , no water coming out of the pee hole , took bottom end of and impeller looked ok no broken fins completely in tacted. Does anybody have any ideas where I should start the snow will be gone soon I HOPE and would like to ready once does.

Thanks

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1988 175 mercury overheating

Have you tried shoving a piece of wire or plastic trim line up the pee hole to see if it is blocked?

Gerry

Superjetjim

Petty Officer 1st Class

We at the end of the year my motor started to overheat , no water coming out of the pee hole , took bottom end of and impeller looked ok no broken fins completely in tacted. Does anybody have any ideas where I should start the snow will be gone soon I HOPE and would like to ready once does.

Thanks

Could be one at the following:
Are your stats blocked or seized (must admit its unlikely for both stats to seize at the same time)?
Blocked up pisser combined with faulty temp sender sending inaccurate temp readings (unlikely)
Pipe connecting lower unit pump output to water intake on power head could have come away/broken/missing
Impellar housing has a groove in it/worn
Woodruf key missing from impellar (unlikely if its been running OK for a while)
Poppet might be sticking/faulty/blocked
Cooling channels in head could be blocked/full of sand/corrosion (unlikely)
Split cooling house somewhere

The list goes on! - Someone with more idea than me will be along a few monents im sure.

Jim

carholme

Rear Admiral

Well if you are sure the pee hole is not blocked, the next thing to do assuming that the impeller and housing are OK, is to remove the LU, immerse it in water and run the gearbx with an electric or air drill to make sure the impeller is pumping. If so, remove the thermostats and run water up the pipe to see if you have water exiting. If not, then you will have to look into the passageways.

Lorette, Canada, is this the Manitoba Lorette?

Gerry

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

It is hard to tell if the impeller is good, by looking at it. If it takes a set, it won't pump properly. Why not just rebuild the waterpump? You will need the impeller, two gaskets, the slinger, an oring and the wearplate

kidnmolly

Cadet

Yes it is.
Well if you are sure the pee hole is not blocked, the next thing to do assuming that the impeller and housing are OK, is to remove the LU, immerse it in water and run the gearbx with an electric or air drill to make sure the impeller is pumping. If so, remove the thermostats and run water up the pipe to see if you have water exiting. If not, then you will have to look into the passageways.

Lorette, Canada, is this the Manitoba Lorette?

Gerry

carholme

Rear Admiral

kidnmolly;

I did contract work for Custom Helicopters from St. Andrews for several years and the first one was the '97 flood. Quite a time.

Let us know what you find with the pee hole.

Gerry

kidnmolly

Cadet

I will let you know will have to wait a while it's minus 30 here, will all the snow they expect it to be like 97 life we get anymore snow and quick melt.
Thanks