oil is chocolate milk - H20 mixture

elltee

Cadet
I have a 1988 Ski Nautique with a 351 Ford. Engine has 700 hours and has been serviced regularly. Put boat in H20 today and after starting, the oil pressure gauge was bouncing erratically from one end to the other. Fearing a major problem, I shut the motor off after about five minutes (did not over heat-temp normal). Pulled the oil dipstick to find chocolate milk instead of the new oil that was changed at the end of last summer. No need to winterize for the temp does not get below 32 degrees. The boat has been used twice this year for a total of about three hours. Everything ran fine. What is going on? Suspect the manifolds need to be replaced, but I'm not a mechanic and not very knowledgable about the engine. Why did the oil pressure gauge go ballistic? Can H2O get into the block by other means? Have I damaged the motor in any way? What is my next step?

sculbert

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: oil is chocolate milk - H20 mixture

welcome to the family, seems we have something in common. I also have water in my oil. I have been reading the forum and it looks like your engine can get water in the oil from the manifold. I was kind of supprised to learn that. I hope someone can help you out also. from what I have seen if your engine has the years on the manifold like mine does. It is most likely the problem for it also. I have pulled mine off and found water laying in the exhaust side of the manifold.

merc200

Seaman

It could also be the exhaust risers cracked, or a head cracked. Probably not a block though since elltee is in a non freezing climate.

elltee

Cadet

what is the least expensive and first measure to take?

motox6

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If your head gaskets are installed wrong or warped, you will also get water in the oil. Check the oil after running it on the muffs at idle for a short period. If nooil then run aroun 25-2800 for a short period. If the head gaskets are leaking at running RPM, then you will have water oil.

merc200

Seaman

If you run in salt water and haven't replaced your manifolds and risers in a while (five years or so) then it is time to do it. It is not cheap, but is better than having a milk shake for oil. If you want, you could have a marina pressure check the manifolds for you to make sure that is the problem. Unless you have overheated your engine, I highly doubt that it is the heads cracked. If it is a head gasket, you can tell by doing a compression check.

yoced

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Carefull out there, folks. Baton Rouge marked 15 nights that got below freezing this winter. <br /><br />"It doesn't freeze here" is not good place to put your hard earned cash.<br /><br />However, an exhaust manifold will always crack to the outside when frozen: it is very visible and obvious, and does not put water into the engine.<br /><br />First measure is to take apart the exhaust and check it for internal cracks or bad gasket seals. Looking is as cheap as you can ask for.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

However, an exhaust manifold will always crack to the outside when frozen
Definitely not true...... it will crack at the thinnest part of the material, whether that is on the inside or outside depends on the casting. Each manifold is different.

elltee

Cadet

thanks for the responses - I guess I will get a compression test performed first. If bad, then it looks like a new head gasket and a valve job since the head is off. If test is good, I'll replace the manifolds and risers. Does this sound like the best plan. Someone mentioned just replacing the manifold gaskets, specifically at the risers. Manifolds are 16 years old. I think I should just replace them. Or am I wasting money?

merc200

Seaman

16 yrs is really old for salt water manifolds.........

yoced

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are not wasting money if you are replacing 16yr old manifolds and risers. Just be sure to check you engine before buying goodies for it first!<br /><br />: Aside to Steve :<br /> While I cannot answer you on scientific principles (because of my own ignorance on that count), and you may have seen otherwise, I have over 200 ice crack manifolds in my file records, and not one cracked to the inside. I asked around some of the more experienced guys here, and they (80 yrs experience between them) have never seen one crack to the inside. <br /> I guess I'd have to ammend my statement to read that 'odds are' the manifold will crack to the outside until I get more technical data. :)

elltee

Cadet

thanks again guys - first, the boat has never been in saltwater. I took the boat and had the compression checked today - all cylinders were at 90 PSI, except the number one which was 120 PSI. The forward two cylinders on the same side blew out water when the compression was released. These two cylinders are above (due to the lean and slant of the motor towards the back) the remaining cylinders. If it was a defective head gasket, wouldn't the back cylinders have the H20 in them due to gravity?? The mechanic seemed to think (not very sure of himself) that it was the manifold. I hope I'm not wasting money and going in the wrong direction. I'm ordering the manifold and exhaust risers tom. Any suggestions from who or where. I need overnight delivery. Boat is going in water this weekend!!! I hope!!

sculbert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Elltee, you can order the manifold but I took mine off and to check it by simply pouring water in the manifold and saw where the manifold was leaking. You should be able to do that also just to confirm your leak. It will be the manifold on the same side as the cylinders getting water in it. <br /> FYI.. blown head gaskets don't follow the slop of the engine. Any one of the cylinders or two could get water from the head gasket being bad. It is dependent on the area where it is leaking from a water jacket or port. There are numerous ports around all the cylinders and it is where the gasket is breached that causes the water to get into the individual cylinder,

yoced

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might try local shops first, rather than overnighting heavy manifolds! You are talking about 50 to 75 pounds per engine side.<br /><br />Here is a shameless plug for friends: I've had good luck sending folks to Buchanan's Auto Parts in Gulfport, MS (228-896-1351) or M&L Engine in Houma, LA (504-857-8000). Both are close enough that standard shipping may do it for you if they have the parts in stock (or even pick up yourself if you have too much time..).

Bondo

Staff member

I'm Sorry, But,<br />At 90lbs. compression in 7 cylinders,+ only 120 in the 8th,<br />I'd be looking for a New Complete Motor...........<br />And,<br />
Why did the oil pressure gauge go ballistic?
Water,+ Oil don't pump the same.......<br />I'd roll that motor over,+ Check the Bearings ???<br />Good Luck...

sculbert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wondered about that but assumed that he had just not spun it over enough. I get around 75 on the first rotations and then by the 3rd it is up to 175 on my cylinders. I have a 250 cid 165hp 6. I also figured his one cylinder that pumped up more might have gotten a second rotation or with the water in it, it would pump higher compression on the the first rotation.