new to the forum

maako_

Recruit
hello evryone, I am new to the forum trying to get some info. I prchased a 1999 Starcraft 180i & trailer for 1K that had a 3.0L mercruiser in it that was beyond repair. I picked up a rebuilt 165 inline 6 for $300 because the guy who had it could not get his boat registered. i have gone thru the wire harness to make sure it was right and now i am up to puting it in the boat. i have glassed in the forward mount for the extra length ad presently have the gas tank out to make sure it is in good shape. I swaped the aft houseing with the one from the 4 cyl. and checked the spline would match up and have clearance with the transum, all looks well with that. what seems to be off is the alignment on the aft mounts and the shaft. anyone have any ideas or have done this before?
thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: new to the forum

I swaped the aft houseing with the one from the 4 cyl. and checked the spline would match up and have clearance with the transum, all looks well with that. what seems to be off is the alignment on the aft mounts and the shaft.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...

If you're using the flywheel cover from the 3.0l on the 165,...
Explain the alignment issue,..??

maako_

Recruit

I have about a 1/2' gap between the mounts on both sides, seting in the engine felt like all the weight was on the shaft. I got the alignment tool print and am working on making that this weekend. I was wondering if anyone has done this swap before? and if so did they run in to any problems that may help me ahead of time.

Bondo

Staff member

I have about a 1/2' gap between the mounts on both sides, seting in the engine felt like all the weight was on the shaft.

Ayuh,... Take the outdrive OFF,...
Then stab the motor...
'n make sure you get the order right with the coil washer, spacer, etc...

maako_

Recruit

It had the wrong hardware on the old engine so now i need to wait for the correct mounting kits to come in the mail. the washers were not double wound and the fiber washers were a leather pad, so it is on hold until the parts come in so i can do the alignment.
thanks