transom replacement

bigmich22

Recruit
i have a 1975 hy ryder tri haul boat made by hi plastic i am replaceing transom and floor in i have a couple questions

1 the stringers where completly hollow there was nothing in them at all no rotten wood or anything is this normal

2 on the transom do you put fiberglass between the two pieces of 3/4 plywood or just use expoxy resin to glue the togather.

3 when i took the top cap off the boat someone had fiberglassed the back of the cap at the transom to the bottom of the haul i had to cut it is this correct or should it be riveted

i want to thank anyone for any help they can give me

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: transom replacement

i have a 1975 hy ryder tri haul boat made by hi plastic i am replaceing transom and floor in i have a couple questions

1 the stringers where completly hollow there was nothing in them at all no rotten wood or anything is this normal

2 on the transom do you put fiberglass between the two pieces of 3/4 plywood or just use expoxy resin to glue the togather.

3 when i took the top cap off the boat someone had fiberglassed the back of the cap at the transom to the bottom of the haul i had to cut it is this correct or should it be riveted

#1 Yes some are made this way....just heavy fiberglass, may have have cardboard or somthing at one time but long since gone.

#2 Yes I would use a layer of 1.5 oz CSM and polyester resin between the layers of plywood and 2 or three layers (depending on how flat and smooth it is) between the skin (outside hull) and the plywood.

#3 I've seen both ways....an aluminum cap riveted or screwed is the most common.

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Not familiar with your particular boat, but it's possible the hull and cap were 'tabbed' together, which is when you have a small section of fiberglass connecting two pieces like you describe.

And you lucked out not having to worry about stringers to repair!

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

2) I laminated my transom together using epoxy only. You would get the simialr strength using poly and csm. I'm going to wrap mine with 2 layers of csm and poly resin when done. My link below shows what I'm doin'.