Clutch Dog 40 horse Johnson

bluegill82

Cadet
Hey Guys,
I am doing some work to my lower unit and I was thinking about replacing the clutch dog. I have some reservations about doing it because it doesn't look to bad. It has a little rounding on the reverse side but looks good on the forward side. I guess what I am asking is does anyone have any pictures of a clutch dog completely worn out so I can compare it to mine? Just taking a shot in the dark here. Any comments or ideas are welcome.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Clutch Dog 40 horse Johnson

Put a pic up of yours you'll get advice.You can turn the dog around and have the good side making contact with the gear ears. Does it pop out of gear? what is the reason you want to replace it?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well, I can show you a completely worn out one, but they will jump out of gear Long before they get this bad.

A bit of chipping at the edges is not cause for rejection, but any rounding of the contact faces is. It takes surprisingly little wear to make it jump.

Attachments

• Clutch dog.jpg
    Clutch dog.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If the g/c was jumping out of gear you'll probably have to replace both the dog and the forward gear. Once they jump they're done. There are some g/c's out there you're not suppose to turn the dogs around.

bluegill82

Cadet

Here is the picture of my clutch dog. Only one side has rounding so that is the side that is pictured.

IMG_6725.jpgIMG_6726.jpgIMG_6727.jpgIMG_6728.jpg

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not an expert...but I don't think that looks too bad. If it's not jumping out of gear...save the money on gas...100$ a barrel today.

Just make sure you shift quickly to avoid further wear!

Mas

dew2

Only one side makes contact,How do the ears on the gears look? The dog looks OK it has rounded quite abit. I if the gear contacts are OK would turn the dog around,Meaning the ears that contacted the forward gear will now contact the reverse,You then will be using the excellant unrounded side of the dog ears.
It wasn't popping out of gear?? was it?

bluegill82

Cadet

It was not popping out of gear. I just couldn't get it into reverse gear. The gears look good, but if it is round quite a bit i might just replace it. I would just like opinions.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I would say that one is a close call. Probably ok for now, but it is hard to say how much longer it will go. A lot depends on the condition of the forward gear and your shifting habits.

If I were doing the job and charging you, you would probably be buying a new dog. Better you than me, because if it were to fail soon I might have to fix it for free next time. But since you are doing it yourself, it is your call. Feeling lucky?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

That clutch's time of usefulness is almost done. I'd replace, unless you don't value your time. As F_R indicated, fwd gear is likely toast as well. Another victim of 'gentle' shifting?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Note on the dog where it says "prop end". Dogs do have different cuts on them where they mate with the gears.

dew2

Note on the dog where it says "prop end". Dogs do have different cuts on them where they mate with the gears.

Thanks boobie a lesson learned!

MarkGinn

Recruit

Once the lower half of the prop shaft housing is separated, should I be able to slide the clutch dog on my '85 Johnson 25HP back and forth with little effort? Mine seems to be stuck in the center, or neutral.

TIA

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

MarkGinn, you need to start a new post for your problem, it's not polite to highjack someone elses post.
To ansewer your question, you have a detent spiring and detent balls in your propshaft/cluthhdog.