Mercruiser 120 low top speed

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1982 imperial 18 foot boat, that according to iboats, weighs 1200 lbs. Top speed is 24mph (GPS), at WOT, which is 3900 rpm. I figured I was over propped (19p), but i doubt that a 17p and 300rpm would make much of a difference.

Im wondering if the imperial hull design is horrible. My buddy has a newer merc 120 boat, and his weighs 2000lbs and his top speed is 35mph.

Anyone else with a merc 120 with low speed numbers? Im hoping to rule out engine problems, as i am selling come spring.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 120 low top speed

Im hoping to rule out engine problems,

Ayuh,.... A complete tune up, 'n compression test should sort that out,....

Otherwise, this is a Boat question, 'n Not a Motor, I/O question....

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

Suppose I should do that before i sell anyways, thanks bud! Doesn't that seem awful low to you?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Try a 15 x15 Prop.

egleas84

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the OP's compression is shot what can be done? New piston rings, valves? I just got the same motor. I had a compression test and it checked out; just wondering for future reference.

Bondo

Staff member

If the OP's compression is shot what can be done? New piston rings, valves? I just got the same motor. I had a compression test and it checked out; just wondering for future reference.

Ayuh,... At that point, the motor has to be Rebuilt....

egleas84

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,... At that point, the motor has to be Rebuilt....

is low top end the only definitive symptom of bad comp? I hope for the OP's sake that 15x15 prop works out :)

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

is low top end the only definitive symptom of bad comp? I hope for the OP's sake that 15x15 prop works out :)

The motor was rebuilt 3 years ago, i doubt it's that. Hard starting is another, dying at idle, poor running.... all signs of low compression, and mine starts immediately and runs great.

egleas84

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The motor was rebuilt 3 years ago, i doubt it's that. Hard starting is another, dying at idle, poor running.... all signs of low compression, and mine starts immediately and runs great.

Guess I don't need to worry about mine either. I had an Imperial tri hull 16'er that had a messed up hull (floor was rotted to heck and all the wood weight went to one side because i never dug it out...) and that thing still did 32 w/ a 85hp OB. Gotta be pitch then...

How much did that motor rebuild cost you? DIY?

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

Guess I don't need to worry about mine either. I had an Imperial tri hull 16'er that had a messed up hull (floor was rotted to heck and all the wood weight went to one side because i never dug it out...) and that thing still did 32 w/ a 85hp OB. Gotta be pitch then...

How much did that motor rebuild cost you? DIY?

The guy i bought it from last year had a shop do it. He showed me the receipt but i honestly cant remember what the cost was.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Low compression also will produce slower hole shot. Both rings and valves contribute to low compression.Bad valves will usually produce a rough idle.Other things causing poor pewrformance:
Throttle not opening all the way,poor tuneup,timing not advancing as it should.Poor hull condition,
waterlogged flotation foam.Typically a boat like that will produce speeds 35-40 mph and 4400 to 4800 rpm.