Okay now how do ya get rid of the milky colored oil after the repair???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant
I had to replace some old wore out manifolds on my tub.. Oil is milky..

Anyhow got the new ones on.. They are perfect(way to go Osco)..Warmed the engine up so I could pump out the oil... Got it all out of there, even spun over the engine to get the crap from the pump to the filter.. After adding oil and checking with the dip stick still got milky oil. No it's not a cracked block:rolleyes:.. This was before I even started the engine.. I was kinda expecting this.. So whats the key to getting pretty oil again? Change it a bunch? I was thinking maybe I could run some chemtool in it for the next change and see if that helps get the milky stuff out..

Hoping for a good remedy. I know someone has a good trick out there

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Okay now how do ya get rid of the milky colored oil after the repair???

Josh, you mention "pumping out the oil". If you can, drain it from the oil pan as you would a car engine, as that will hasten the removal of all things ugly in your engine oil, and while you're at it, install an oil drain hose kit to further your boating maintenance pleasure. Lastly, an old trick I learned from my dad. Pour a gallon of diesel fuel into the motor after draining the old oil and let it sit for a few minutes to break down the sludge and help rinse away the residual oil from the internal surfaces. DO NOT CRANK MOTOR WITH DIESEL IN IT! Just use it as a passive type of rinse agent if you will. Drain and repeat until clear diesel comes out. Then refill with normal oil as usual and you will see immediate results. I have been doing this to my automobiles for years without fail, and my oil changes are always clean at 4-5k miles.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Josh, you mention "pumping out the oil". If you can, drain it from the oil pan as you would a car engine, as that will hasten the removal of all things ugly in your engine oil, and while you're at it, install an oil drain hose kit to further your boating maintenance pleasure. Lastly, an old trick I learned from my dad. Pour a gallon of diesel fuel into the motor after draining the old oil and let it sit for a few minutes to break down the sludge and help rinse away the residual oil from the internal surfaces. DO NOT CRANK MOTOR WITH DIESEL IN IT! Just use it as a passive type of rinse agent if you will. Drain and repeat until clear diesel comes out. Then refill with normal oil as usual and you will see immediate results. I have been doing this to my automobiles for years without fail, and my oil changes are always clean at 4-5k miles.

MMMM I love diesel.. Good for everything..:D:D
I was thinking of draining from the bottom, even though I gotta great pump.. It's pretty tight down there..
Here is the other question.. Where do ya dump off the tainted diesel?
I thought of the diesel idea too.. Use to do it when we lived out in the sticks.. Then just use the bad fuel to start fires.. I would fill the sucker up with fuel if it would get the funk out out there:facepalm:

I read on here somewhere to run the engine hard and it would boil out the water:eek: I don't see how that would work, but I may be wrong..

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Where do ya dump off the tainted diesel?

Well, I take mine (mixed with used oil) to Wally World, or any engine oil retailer/service station for that matter, to dispose of it, as they are legally required to accept old oil per EPA regs.

I read on here somewhere to run the engine hard and it would boil out the water:eek: I don't see how that would work, but I may be wrong..

Yowser! I would NEVER recommend doing that. Nothing like foaming oil in your engine to allow bearings to spin without lubrication! :eek: :facepalm:

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

It may just work... But, would you run your motor hard with polluted oil:confused:
Would I? Let's see, uh... No. I think the most reasonable part of what's quoted is...:eek:. The diesel method sounds reasonable, though... A lot less costly than any "snake oil", too:D. I'm very interested in hearing your results. Sounds like it's gonna be a winner. Best of luck.

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

Nope, do not do it.

If you don't get ALL the diesel out it will break down the new oil and there goes your lubricity, I know of several people that have done the same trick and spin a bearing or worse yet thin the oil so much that it no longer carries oil pressure and hammer the bearings and reduce the life of the engine dramatically.

did you change the filter??
Is the filter a remote mount with lines running to it?? If so you may want to remove them and drain them also or blow air through them..

Bondo

Staff member

Nope, do not do it.

If you don't get ALL the diesel out it will break down the new oil and there goes your lubricity, I know of several people that have done the same trick and spin a bearing or worse yet thin the oil so much that it no longer carries oil pressure and hammer the bearings and reduce the life of the engine dramatically.

did you change the filter??
Is the filter a remote mount with lines running to it?? If so you may want to remove them and drain them also or blow air through them..

Ayuh,... Forgetabout the diesel, 'n just change the oil a couple of times, runnin' the motor between changes...
Once ya get Most of the water out, then run the motor up to temp, 'n the remaining water will steam off...

rickryder

Commander

I'm with Bond-o on this one. Being a mechanic on cars and trucks for many years I've had my share of water/coolant in the oil pan after a blown head gasket....we just changed the oil and filter a few times and it will dissipate. I would try to drain it from the plug at least once since the water will be on the bottom of the pan. :)

ziggy

Admiral

just change the oil a couple of times, runnin' the motor between changes...
i had water in my oil in my boat (via bum manifold), coolant in my van engine oil (via intake gasket leak 5.7 vortec). i did what Bond-o said and it worked. both engines saved..

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Okay... Well how many changes we talking about:confused:? Oil isn't a dollar a qt no more:redface:.. There can't be much water left in there.. I am thinking the milky stuff I got now is from the stuff left at the very bottom of the pan and in the top end of the engine.. I removed the oil from the pick up to the filter and of course I changed the filter:rolleyes:

Ya say run between changes.. As in run in the drive way or run on the lake? My engine barely hits temperature sitting in the driveway.. No load on the engine I am guessing and cold water from the hose.. I could lay my arms on the exhaust manifolds

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is a product much more suited to this than diesel fuel. Your local auto store has a product called RISLONE. It is in a yellow quart can and replaces one quart of engine oil. This is an extremely high detergent oil and has been around for decades and I've cleaned up engines that nothing else would come close to removing. I once rebuilt a Toyota engine that neither hubby or wife was having serviced. Ran it out of oil and seized it up. Overheats like that often leaves a dark golden colored deposit on (in this case) the inside of the cam cover. After the rebuild, RISLONE was added and I told the owner to bring the car back after 500 miles for service. I removed the cover and it was spotless. It also worked very well for freeing up stuck rings on diesel engines that were never allowed to warm up. These vehicle after two 500 mile oil changes would go from using a quart of oil in a couple hundred mles to a quart in 1500. Two oil changes should be all it takes to rid your engine of the sludge. Be sure you replace the oil filter each time. NO WIDE OPEN THROTTLE OPERATION WHILE RUNNING RISLONE.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

some new snake juice huh? Never even heard of it.. Seems like it would make getting the water out harder since it's gotta be thick like maple syrup...

Attachments

• 34100_lg.jpg
    34100_lg.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Of Course water is what is making the oil look like milk.
Change the oil and filter.
Take the boat out for a long run/cruise.
After the engine is at operating temperature, the water will evaporate, out the crankcase ventilation system, leaving only the oil left.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Wow their is alot of opinion on this subject... I would hate to pop the engine from lack of lube with the water in there...:eek: I am thinking I may just run her in the driveway awhile tonight.. drain the crap again refill with new filter then just run a tank though her at the lake and see what happens.. She has great oil pressure

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

some new snake juice huh? Never even heard of it.. Seems like it would make getting the water out harder since it's gotta be thick like maple syrup...

Quite the contrary -- Rislone is a 5W oil. Why do you suppose I indicated NO WIDE OPEN THROTTLE WHILE RUNNING RISONE. You never heard of it because you probably never worked in any sort of automotive or marine industry actually fixing stuff. Rislone is probably older than your are and it is definitely not a Snake Oil. You've probably never heard of Marvel Mystery Oil either yet it is used by some members of this forum that are actually old enough to know what works and what doesn't. Both of these products were very popular additives when hydraulic valve lifters came on the scene around 1950. The very tight tolerances in the lifters could not tolerate crud build up and at the time, engine oils did not have enough detergency to keep them clean. When sludge and varnish build up in todays engines these are still two very good products to clean them up.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Wow their is alot of opinion on this subject... I would hate to pop the engine from lack of lube with the water in there...:eek: I am thinking I may just run her in the driveway awhile tonight.. drain the crap again refill with new filter then just run a tank though her at the lake and see what happens.. She has great oil pressure

You will need to change oil and filter more than once since that milk shake is clinging to every surface in the engine.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

You never heard of it because you probably never worked in any sort of automotive or marine industry actually fixing stuff.

But ya see thats where you are wrong.. 10 years lead diesel mechanic, also small engine 4 stroke and 2 stroke.. I just never jumped on the additive craze(rebuild in a can).. Use to add some kinda crap(can't believe I can't remember the name) we had at the shop to the diesel fuel.. Can't say it really helped, but if ya read the bottle it did everything.. I have used Lucus before.. It was on sale, don't know if it does any good, but I like to play with the little wheel spinning thing at the part house every time I go:rolleyes:

Maybe the stuff is new.. I been out of the industry for about 5 years.. I only fix my own junk these days..

Heard of Marvel Mystery Oil and most of the can rebuilds, just not that stuff you mentioned.. I kind ignore that isle at the store.. Most of that stuff is a gimmick.. If you believe in it that's good...

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

You will need to change oil and filter more than once since that milk shake is clinging to every surface in the engine.

I have changed it once.. So? one more? Two more? three?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Forget the Rislone and MMO. Just change your oil a couple times.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Will do.. I will update and tell ya how it goes

Status
Not open for further replies.